Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my timing belt broke just as I pulled to a stop in my garage. Got it towed to my mechanic who confirmed it was the timing belt and not any other issue. After tearing it down and looking everything over he feels pretty certain that the valves might be ok. The plan is to get a new belt on and give it a shot. If it works, I'm only out $800 as opposed to having a car that doesn't run and will be sold for parts because I can't afford to put a new engine in for $5000. Is this an interference or non-interference engine? Any advice is appreciated,

·
Registered
2001 B5.5 Volkwagen Passat GLX
125 Posts
Yes, it is interference, you may not be totally screwed. My uncle had a 1.8T Jetta that had the same thing happened, but he timed it back up and threw a belt on and it drove, but it never drove like it originally did before. On my 2.8 V6 Passat, I had the timing belt break at 70mph, had to replace all 30 valves, a buddy of mine told me to do a leak down test to check for bent valves, it failed horribly as expected. You can buy a cheap leak down kit for around $30-40 and it should give an idea of whether they're bent. Personally used this one Amazon, although most of these are the same with different brand names. If anything, take out the spark plugs and look down the spark plug holes for any debris (valve pieces) or worst case, cracked pistons.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,297 Posts
You can't be "pretty certain" the valves are ok until you turn the engine over (with a new belt) and also do compression testing, or you pull the head before doing the belt.

Reactions: Hirnbeiss

·
Registered
99 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T AEB Engine Code Automatic
34 Posts
So my timing belt broke just as I pulled to a stop in my garage. Got it towed to my mechanic who confirmed it was the timing belt and not any other issue. After tearing it down and looking everything over he feels pretty certain that the valves might be ok. The plan is to get a new belt on and give it a shot. If it works, I'm only out $800 as opposed to having a car that doesn't run and will be sold for parts because I can't afford to put a new engine in for $5000. Is this an interference or non-interference engine? Any advice is appreciated,
I had this happen on my 1.8t but it was not the timing belt, but the tensioner that fail, The only way you going to know for sure is to pull the head and inspected, But turning the engine over with the belt gone is going to do more damage to the engine. I would not advise doing this.? I would get a good manual with the torque specs and breakdown of your engine if you can get a Bently manual or if someone on this site has one have them send you the pages. It is a lot of work and time it is most likely that some of the valves are bent and will need replacing is my bet. That is not to say that hole in the piston is not uncommon, With bent valves, you can have a machine shop do a teardown and replace what is bent and damaged, at the time this happened to me head job was around $800 plus parts. Now is ? The other option is to seek out junkyards and pull one off the same engine code and model year, check it out before you leave the yard. and just put it on your engine and new bolts and all new gasket kit. you find a kit at FCP Euro. and off the way you go, at pick your part you buy the complete head for about 300, VW Mechanic told me that VW does not recommend the valve seats or the valves to be regrounded just new oil seals, but you do take the head apart make you number all the valve and tapets to the cyc that they went to, because of the wear tolerance.

·
Registered
99 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T AEB Engine Code Automatic
34 Posts
I had this happen on my 1.8t but it was not the timing belt, but the tensioner that fail, The only way you going to know for sure is to pull the head and inspected, But turning the engine over with the belt gone is going to do more damage to the engine. I would not advise doing this.? I would get a good manual with the torque specs and breakdown of your engine if you can get a Bently manual or if someone on this site has one have them send you the pages. It is a lot of work and time it is most likely that some of the valves are bent and will need replacing is my bet. That is not to say that hole in the piston is not uncommon, With bent valves, you can have a machine shop do a teardown and replace what is bent and damaged, at the time this happened to me head job was around $800 plus parts. Now is ? The other option is to seek out junkyards and pull one off the same engine code and model year, check it out before you leave the yard. and just put it on your engine and new bolts and all new gasket kit. you find a kit at FCP Euro. and off the way you go, at pick your part you buy the complete head for about 300, VW Mechanic told me that VW does not recommend the valve seats or the valves to be regrounded just new oil seals, but you do take the head apart make you number all the valve and tapets to the cyc that they went to, because of the wear tolerance.
also new tensor & belt and fluids ect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts