Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to change out the steering knuckle on my 2003 1.8t Passat Wagon. Unfortunately the upper bolt for the tie rods head popped off as I tried to loosen it. What suggestions do you guys have for getting it out? It doesn't appear to have enough room to get a drill in there? The point where I am at I don't think I could get it to a garage? Thanks in advance.

Frustrated in Connecticutt

Ed

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I remember correctly, the upper bolt threads down into the tie rod ball joint. If you remove the pinch bolt, you should be able to remove the tie rod if the head of the bolt threading down into it is gone, be it from removal of the bolt or snapping it off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Assuming you have the pinch bolt off, I would think you should just be able to just force what is left of the bolt down, and it should pop out. I am sure there is probably quite a bit of pressure so it will be hard to do. Maybe you will have to remove the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod first?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think as said above that may not be your issue. Getting that pinch bolt out is probably going to be the struggle as if the top bolt head snapped off that pinch bolt it not going to come out easy.
TomK

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
If I remember correctly, the upper bolt threads down into the tie rod ball joint. If you remove the pinch bolt, you should be able to remove the tie rod if the head of the bolt threading down into it is gone, be it from removal of the bolt or snapping it off.
There seems to be some confusion due to the way the OP phrased the issue: Are we talking about the steering tie rod end, and the 13mm head safety screw that threads into it, or the control arm ball joints and the horizontal pinch-bolt? If the former, which is how I read it, the head breaking off that screw should have no bearing on getting the tie rod stud out of the knuckle casting.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There seems to be some confusion due to the way the OP phrased the issue: Are we talking about the steering tie rod end, and the 13mm head safety screw that threads into it, or the control arm ball joints and the horizontal pinch-bolt? If the former, which is how I read it, the head breaking off that screw should have no bearing on getting the tie rod stud out of the knuckle casting.
I agree, and that is how I also read the initial post. We may need some clarification.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys it was the safety bolt for the steering tie rod end, it slipped right through after I removed the pinch bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts