Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced the sideview mirror control? Somehow I snapped the knob off. I could do it "ugly" and try a dot of Krazy Glue, but replacing it seems like a better idea. Any hints on removal and replacement are appreciated.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
From past threads on the topic, I believe most people are removing the door panel and replacing the swtich from that side. However, I seem to recall at least one member either here or on vwvortex saying that they were able to pry the switch out without removing the door panel. I'd be hesitant to try that, myself, since I'm too anal about marring the the finish of the panel. Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to Clubb5!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've been reading for months and tried to search for this thread but didn't find it, but there's a lot of info to dig through.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You can do it without removing the door panel but have to be very careful!
Removing the door panel is easy and I did mine that way. Did not want to take the chance of scratching the finish on the panel.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey There,

I replaced my mirror switch in about an hour without removing the whole panel. I removed some well hidden screws and put a block wedge in and unclipped it. Can be done.
:beer: ,
Malcolm

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I bought somewhat of an improved switch off ebay. Mine snapped when I was cleaning my door panel, and accidentally knocked into it with my hand. For replacement, it had to be popped out with a small flat tip screwdriver or two. You're going to put marks in the surround, but I don't even notice them anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts