Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its been a while since ive posted but just like the title says, what are my options? I had my car towed to the dealer because of a loud clunking noise coming from the rear. It turned out to be a broken left rear coil and was rubbing the driveshaft. They recommended replacing both rear coils and alignment. Quoted around $700. The problem is they can't get the part till next week or I could have the part overnighted for extra cost. The part number they gave me was 4B0511115B ($149.10 each). It's coming up on 95k miles. I'm the original owner and just put $1300 into it with new battery and timing belt/roller/tensioner/water pump replacement.

Should I just replace the springs or should I upgrade the suspension? What's the most reasonable cost effective solution? Looking for any advise. (I also can't really wait till next week without a car)

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
I'd replace both rear coils, but look through the classifieds for someone selling a 4MO suspension. You could upgrade if you wanted to lower the car.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I would also replace both rear springs, however unless the springs are purchased used in the classifieds, OEM springs are almost always going to be more expensive than aftermarket. Unfortunately nearly all the aftermarket springs available are going to lower the car to a certain extent.

We do have that part number posted above available, however it would be a few days lead time with us as well and you can see there are quite a few variations available:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/4B0511115B/?utm_source=passatworld&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=postreply&utm_campaign=postreply

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! I ended up biting the bullet and ordered the OEMs and had them overnight it. I'd be really stuck if I didn't have a car till next week and all their loaners were out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
a few tips...

Recently did the job following Rubberband Man's great post on the subject (search "replacement of rear suspension on 4motion passats")

The job was not that bad!!!

However I noted a few things as I followed along, and wanted to share:
- Biggest item was that I stripped the threads on the top of the shock using the needle nosed pliers method, so after buying a new shock (didn't mind, old one was leaking), I found that a 3/8" socket extension was just the right size to fit inside of my 3/4" (1/2" drive) socket, so I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to fashion a tool to hold the shock from spinning while I loosened the retainer nut (NOTE: this will all make sense once you've read his post). I'll try a pic at the end of this post, but if that fails I think it's pretty easy to imagine once you've looked at the top of the shock.
- Spring will untwist about 15-20 degrees when you release the coil compressors, so recommend estimating this and installing coil spring retainer so that it will line up when untwisted. If you miss it, no biggie, just leave the retainer nut 1/4 turn from tight and use a rubber mallet to rotate the top coil spring retainer, then fully tighten the retainer bolt.
- As for torquing the retainer nut, once mostly tight, it shouldn't spin inside the coil retainer, so you can tighten to spec using a torque wrench
- Original post leaves upper control arm in connected to wheel assembly, but you can easily remove it just the same (only one more bolt) -- your call
- I've always been taught to put suspension parts in their "weight on wheels" position before tightening any suspension arms, etc. to prevent adding twist/strain to the rubber mounts -- couldn't hurt!

Hope these additional tips help. The job went much smoother (other than stripped threads) than I had imagined.

IMG_3684.jpg

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
one of the best things i can recomend to you as far as future suspension options go is to use the H&R OE SPORT springs. they act very much like the OEM, and they will be the LEAST drop out of what you will find. you should be able to score a set for ~$150 i imagine.

and from what i hear about the norther states, spring-rot is not too uncommon of a thing. they flex a lot, and face a real beating from the weather.

down here in texas, i have LITERALLY only seen ONE spring break. EVER.

i've worked in the automotive field for about 8 years now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just noticed both my coil springs are broke, mine is 04 4 motion wagon. Having trouble finding video for that exact car. See two bolts holding a mount in wheel well on top of spring but nor sure if more under panels in back. Does anyone have a link or advice besides blow this f-ing thing up. Thank you

·
Registered
726 Posts
No, you're looking at it right - the rear shock is secured to the body with only those two (or was it three? - it's been a year since I did the wife's car) bolts, all visible and removed from outside of the vehicle - no interior work necessary.
Bottom is secured to the lower control arm with one bolt.

Yes, some suspension disassembly is needed to actually take the shocks out.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
There is a writeup in the Info forum:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you both. I’m new to this site, having hard time figuring out hoe to navigate it. I will tackle springs once I figure out this ABS issue, leaning toward ABS mod at this point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don’t remember posting a picture of rear suspension but I ended up buying a used set. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts