Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Passat, excellent shape 87000 miles.
Well, timing belt broke. First note- rubber is at best good for 10 years.

Ok, timing belts suck but they are a reality. I have fairly extensive experience with this issue so its a good bet there are bent valves.

Now, the question. I can find reman heads around $500 and used heads around $200. I can also find a gasket, bolt and valves for around $100

Knowing full well its a roll of the dice, would the audience recommend just replacing the valves gaskets and bolts, buy a used head or go for the reman head. Not concerned with the time and if the car had more miles I would just junk it. However, I can live with spending $500 to $1000 on a good spare car and I'm not overly concerned with making it "as new". Yes, I'm sure the pistons will be dented but just wanted to get an educated opinion from the school of hard knocks as to if its even worth messing with and if its possible to get all the parts under a grand and possibly under $500 with a reasonable shot at having a running car. I do appreciate your input!

· I Know Stuff
10,649 Posts
As well as exceeding the recommended time of 7 years, you have exceeded the recommended mileage of 60k to 80k.

The $100 option is out as those cheap valves won't be any good in that engine.
Either of the other options are OK providing the re-builder uses the correct valves.

You will need new head bolts and gaskets.
You should also replace the TB, TB rollers, TB tensioner, WP, and thermostat.

· Registered
5,252 Posts
There's no reason to trash your existing head. Replace the bent valves with quality new ones (i.e. not $100 for all valves + bolts and gaskets... egads, that's terrifying!)... if it were my head, I'd pay the extra to have a machine shop do it while they check out your head. (No reason to believe the head itself needs work, but hey, it's off the car, and in any case the machine shop will have the needed tools to do the valve replacement itself.

· PassatWorld Elder
28,080 Posts
With the Sodium filled exhaust valves, I would pull the head and check for snapped valve heads. Then decide if it is worth the repair.

Reactions: Tomvw

· Registered
390 Posts
I've done both the reman head (replacing a cracked head) and a used head (replacing a timing belt snap on a Craigslist $500 car). Have had no issues with either. I sent one head back for a core charge on the reman head; used one came from an Audi at the pick and pull. Plus I have the head from the timing belt snap I'm rebuilding and then I'll have an extra head just in case or I can sell it. So both have their pros and cons.

New head bolts, gaskets, timing belt yada yada, while its all apart, might as well redo the whole PCV system instead of doing it 6 months down the road with everything back together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.