Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my wife broke the mirror control knob off. Any idea how much for a new one? Are they easy to replace?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did the same damned thing! From what I can tell, you should just need to remove the door panel, pop out the existing module, and hook in the new one... They appear to cost about $28-35 online + shipping... You have to be sure that you get the right one tho, they make different ones for heated / non-heated, as well as with power / manual windows... Just pay attention ;) I haven't ordered mine yet but when I do I'll try to post here if there are any nuances to the installation...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just replaced mine the other day. Bought one on ebay for $8. I took the advice of someone else on these forums... Drilled a small hole into the switch, put a screw in it, then yanked it out (via the screw head) with a pair of pliers. Worked like a charm and I didnt break any of the plastic clips. It was also much easier than taking the whole door panel off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that idea. I suppose I should pull the fuse before drilling into that sucker knowing my luck. I'm just curious. What pert of the switch did you drill into?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I first tried to drill into the center of the switch where the shaft of the joystick broke... that didnt work.

I then drilled to the left of that, where the pic of the heated mirror symbol is. That was a little more sturdy and allowed me to put some torque on it.

I will recommend holding down on the bezel that it clips into. Mine was pretty securely fastened and started to pop the outer bezel out as well. I pushed it back into place, held it and then pulled the switch out.

I didnt take out the fuse or disconnect the battery, but that probably would have been a good idea.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I did this wiping down the door while cleaning one day, quite common, i picked up a replacement and stealer for $28 IIRC and popped the old one out using a knife blade to pry it out, carefully, not to scar the trim bezel, the screw idea works as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts