Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, like the title says, im just a broke college kid who loves working on my b5. Working on converting interior from gray to black. But I like having multiple projects going on at once, so any ideas? I have projector headlights, (sadly i bought them when i first got the car, so they are ebay... looking to get some new ones once i find the stash of money in my back yard.) tinted tails, h&r sports ( received as gift, arnt as low as i'd like...). WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT? I need some cheap mods, or atleast id like to feel like im getting a good bang for my buck. All suggestions are appreciated! Please, someone inspire me!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.8t, Thanks for replying so quick :D Car has almost 185k on it, so im not sure how performance would work out. I'd love to do both, im into performance and, my dream one day is for the car to turn heads. So if you've got suggestions for both im open! Was looking into rims, but seeing that winter is almost here, not sure if now is the best time to buy.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
You have a turbocharged car with 185k on it. If you are an otherwise-broke college student, I'd sock away some for a "rainy-day" fund for when some part of the car needs some work. I'd suggest a Bentley, VAG-COM, and $200 cash for your wishlist. That will cover most, if not all, common repairs.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,133 Posts
cant say that inspired me too much. Noted though, ive got cash incase something happens.
Do you want excitement, or good advice? As per above, Bentley, VAG.COM, and $500 cash (or more). Make sure everything on the car is in good shape: control arms, brakes, tires, shocks. Clean out the PCV system. Fix any oil leaks. All current and ship-shape? THEN spend money on mods. Me, I'd forget the front-mounted intercooler mentioned above; just chip it and put in a stronger diverter valve. That's maybe $600, and is the best bang for the buck performance mod you can do.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Oh and unless you want to change your control arms soon, you need to loosen the pivot bolts and retorque them at your new ride height.

Or you can wait to do that when your stock shocks go and your car is bouncing down the road.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. thanks for the suggestion, might start doing pricing on that. And yah, car is in tip top shape, besides the exterior. Actually just got new control arms, brakes and shocks. Tires are low and in need of replacing soon, they should last me through winter, which will leave me at a perfect time to buy a new setup. Once again, thanks for te chip/ valve suggestion, im going start pricing.

·
rockin the nasty azz exhaust tips yo!!
1,526 Posts
search for info on diverter valves, relocating diverter valves, manual boost controllers (a lot of easy and inexpensive fun!), PCV deletes (all under $250)
chip, FMIC ($500ish each)
boost gauge, oil pressure gauge (maybe $60ish each)
exhaust work (can be done for around $180ish for a new muffler and labor)
obviously a different suspension set up, wheels and tires.
Maybe window tint ($250-300)
paint valve cover/intake manifold/engine covers

Don't forget little things like side marker lights, fender lights, tail light tint, LED lights inside and out, HIDs, rub strips, different grille etc. To me the little things add up to make a head turning car.

BTW. We need pics :thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
window tint for 250-300$?! thats a rip off.. I know a guy who does it for 100$.. almost a year on them and they dont show signs of wear. he used to work at a Toyota dealership doing tint and now hes freelances it at hes home;)..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks butterz, yah i need to get my camera working, ill try to get some pics this weekend. And i wish i knew someone that did tint for $100, i paid 250 for mine...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
couldnt find the charger for my camera, ended up buying one off of amazon.... was 25 cents.... and shipping was $5 lol. oh well, i will have pics in a few days.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts