Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this thread:lol:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197688&highlight=speakers

I have a problem similar to it.. but there were no definite answers.... :poke: so let's see if anyone can help me with this..
I bought my car and had some work done to it, replaced the SAIP and the TCM due to water damage... :banghead:
anyway.. i had to get vag-com to reset for the new TCM and the check engine light dor the SAIP... :angel:
the first times I used Vag-com I did a through Test and I could hear it check the radio and all the speakers worked fine.
After a while I started noticing that the Rear Left speaker doesn't work anymore (i've posted that question around here but got no answer) but now that I read that post.. I found that it might be linked to the LOCK Beep for the alarm and the switches on doors and hood
I used vag-com to turn the horn for lock and unlock.. and I found that the channels listed in the vag-com website did not match mine, there was a channel in the middle that didn't match.. let me give you an example.. I don't remember exactly
channel 1 and 2 are for the Keys... those were fine
channel 3 is auto unlock... that was fine too
channel 4 is auto lock... that was fine..
then channel 5 was supposed to be horn when lock.... vag-com said channel not available..
channel 6 was supposed to be horn when unlock and it was horn when lock and it was on
channel 7 was supposed to be nothing and it is horn when unlocked
and the channel 8 was horn adjustment..

so I turned both the unlock and the lock horn ON even though the channels didn't match with the vag-com website tutorial...
but the car doesn't sound when locking.. only when unlocking.. the alarm sounds fine (just like some problems I read on the thread)..
I noticed the micro-switch to the hood was broken ( it has a metal piece that clicks the switch and it broke off, so I disconnected it from the harnes next to the power steering fluid thing... I wanted to go to the dealer to get a new micro-switch but I haven't done it..

after all that ... :crazy: my question is that if all my problems are related? the lock horn because the micro-switch is missing... and the rear speakers not working... (also when I use vag-com to check on my radio it says... "too many communication errors" and never checks it.... I got a cd changer and it also displays an error message when plugged in)...

someone please help..
thanks.. :confused:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Yes, you should follow the vag-com's channel labels. Channel 5 is "skipped" for some reason.

Also, Yes - the alarm/immobilizer function won't arm itself unless the CCM can verify the car is locked. The horn is not beeping on lock because the CCM can't verify that the car is actually locked. Also, the immobilizer/alarm is not arming.

The speaker trouble is likely unrelated. On the door with the bad speaker, Look in the door hinge area for a rubber "accordion" boot. There are wires running inside of this boot, which flex every time the door is closed. The wire to the speaker may be frayed or broken. Also, the ground wire may be broken, instead.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is the follow up..
I checked and even though my micro switch on the hood is broken I disconnected it and now the car sounds when locking... I'll have to get a micro switch and put it back in... but for now that is fixed..
thanks a lot.

the other thing.. I checked the connections on the door. and they're ok.. I checked for continuity (not sure on spelling :whistle: ) and it's OK.. if I press on the tweeter I make it sound but after I turn the radio Off it goes out again.. the radio get's hot from the bottom a lot, i can feel it through the bottom pocket thing...
any ideas about the communication error on Vag-com with the radio???
thanks a llot for the reply

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
enriquemellado said:
...if I press on the tweeter I make it sound but after I turn the radio Off it goes out again...
That sounds like a cracked solder joint somewhere in the connections on the tweeter -- pressing it creates contact, at least temporarily.

enriquemellado said:
I checked the connections on the door. and they're ok.. I checked for continuity (not sure on spelling :whistle: ) and it's OK.. the radio get's hot from the bottom a lot, i can feel it through the bottom pocket thing..
did you check for shorts to ground?

enriquemellado said:
any ideas about the communication error on Vag-com with the radio
which model vag-com cable are you using? The very early vag-com models had troubles with cars that have the "dual k line" wiring. I think the "dual k line" wiring had something to do with the radio, or maybe with just aftermarket radios. I'm not sure. Hmmm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts