Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 1999 Passat calls for a 195/65-15 H rated tire. After reading this forum, I have decided on the Turanza.

Nither my wife nor I are aggressive drivcers. Most all driving is 5 - 10 miles around town, with a few occasional trips of ~350 miles.

Is there any reason I shold not purchase the LS-T rather than the recommended LS-H, e.g. a safety issue? I understand the LS-H will hold corners better, but given the type of driving we do is this really an issue?

·
Registered
27,572 Posts
Better cornering is only part of the deal. Better braking,less hydroplaning,better emergency handling and
better heat resistance (not sure where you dirve). The LS-H is quieter also. They might have nearly the
same name,but they are nowhere near the same tire.
I have the LS-H on my Passat and the LS-T on a Taurus wagon and a Subaru Impreza. In your case,you
will probably be fine with the LS-T,but you need to watch your speed and air pressure on distance driving.
PZ.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PZ,

Thanks for your feedback. some follow-up ...

RE: not sure where you dirve

I live in Southern NH. While we get a fair amount of snow, the towns do a very good job of keeping them clear, thus it is also very infrequent when we are driving in these conditions.

RE: In your case,you will probably be fine with the LS-T,but you need to watch your speed and air pressure on distance driving.

75 - 80 MPH is tops for me. For tire air pressure, is assuring VW recommended pressure sufficient, or where you thinking of something else?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I recently purchased the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Hs (205/60-15s) for my '98 Passat 1.8T, and have been very pleased with the tire's performance on dry, wet, and snowy roads (2-4 inches of snow). Also, the tires are very quiet on the highway. Love these tires.
Kevin

·
Registered
27,572 Posts
Not sure how good the LS-T would be in snow. Just looking at the tread,I would go with the LS-H. More
edges,generally better in snow.
As far as pressure,I would not run anything under 32. T rated tires do not tolerate heat nearly as well.
Low pressure will heat them up. Of course,up there it does not get nearly as hot as here (TX).
PZ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts