Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
They are discontinued, so you are getting them at clearance pricing. They have less than 5 remaining, so hopefully you get a complete set. I have heard they are not very good in snow. That is why the new 960 came out.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Bought Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position ($82 on TireRack) a couple of months back from a local.

I like them relative to the ContiExtremes I had previously which were my first set of performance tires. The Contis were pretty good all-season, however, I never stressed those tires in bad weather. The Bridgestones were supposed to be a little better in rain and snow.

For now, they ride well, although I have the 205/65/R15 tires and so they do well absorbing the many flaws of Chicago potholed roads...

I recommend the 960s for their ride and price. Contis are usually a little more.

Note some locals will price match, and the cost for state taxes may be less than shipping from South Bend, IN. If you order from Discount Tire, their warranty replacement program is NOT pro-rated, so a non-repairable puncture/tear results in you getting a whole new tire only for the cost of insurance and taxes.

·
Registered
858 Posts
They are TERRIBLE in snow. I had a set. They were pretty good on dry roads and in the wet, but sucked something awful when the road temp dropped below 30F. I made the mistake of taking them off too late one year and then compounded it by putting them on too early the next spring.

In a nutshell, they are an A/S tire that is best suited for summer or warmer climates only. I would not run them in the snowbelt. If you have snows for winter, there are a LOT better options for summer tires - I just got a set of RE760's and LOVE them!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
i had 2 sets of the 950s on my old passat, they were great. Granted, california weather only gets as bad as some rain, sometimes. But they wore extremely well and had decent grip for an all-season tire.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright, well I'm going to be facing snow this winter so what is a decent perfomance all season tire?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've had the RE960AS on for over a year now. Was too lazy to mount my snow tires last season and drove the Bridgestone's through the winter. Lots of snow and no problems. Summer performance is :thumbup:.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I'd say the same as turtle. Some people's definition of 'snow performance' is being able to take a 90 degree bend on icy pavement in a snowstorm at 40mph without a twitch from the car...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'd say the same as turtle. Some people's definition of 'snow performance' is being able to take a 90 degree bend on icy pavement in a snowstorm at 40mph without a twitch from the car...
:lol:

FWIW, I have the RE750s, and they're fantastic, but I have no plans to run them in the winter.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm, so I'm not too sure what to believe seeing as there are positive and negative reviews about their winter capabilities.

What are some good all season tires that aren't too pricey?

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
The Kumho ASX is decent for the price. Softer ride than the 960, much cheaper and good in the snow/ice (at least up to the 6" storm we had here). They lasted me 30K ( I abuse tires), but started to make some noise past 20K. A stock size would be quieter than the 225/50/16 I was running.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I drove on 225/40 960AS pp's since last november and they handled everything up to 3-4" of snow incredibly well and are exceptionally quiet. Rain doesn't phase them and dry grip is excellent for anything except maybe the track. I havent had a set of performance tires in a long time and I didn't know a tire could be this good in everything. They weren't cheap at - $150 each, but with outstanding year round grip and a 40 - 50,000 mile lifespan, I think they were worth it. I don't want to bend the baby...

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Not too sure what to believe? Looking back through the posts, I think I see a trend towards 'alright'. Like I said, the key is how YOU drive. What do you expect from a tire in the winter? Razor-sharp handling at speed? Or do you back off and go easier on the slippery stuff?

I had the Michelin MXV4+ on mine through a good part of the Winter, and like I said, the car still tracked well and slid predictably with them. That's all you can really ask for from any all-season tire. Now my Winter tires (Gislaved/Nokian) are MUCH better for traction on ice and snow, but that's a dedicated Winter set.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I definetely don't want to test the limits of the tires in the snow by goin 40 around a turn, but if I'm in a scenario where I have to really cut the wheel I'd like minimal slippage .

I want good all-seasons because I ski in the winter, so I'm going to be traveling on pretty windy, steep roads.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Heh. That's the rub, isn't it? These tires will do fine for what you want them for, but if you want good handling in an emergency situation, (little blind girl wanders in front of you during a blinding snowstorm) almost NO A/S tire will cut it. They'll all break loose and slide if you don't have the skills to help them out. A full winter set is a must if that's what you're looking for.

But you never know. One of my favourite (or least favourite) moments was with my old 88 Cavalier coupe, well-used cheap A/S tires on it, the day before I changed to my winters there was a wicked snow storm. About a foot of snow on the road. I took a friend out for a 'slippy-slidey' run. Came to the first sharp turn at about 35mph, pitched it into a sideways drift... midway through the corner the rear started coming around too much, so I gave it a GENEROUS dose of throttle to help bring the nose around. Hey, nearly bald summer tires need extra spin, right?

The tires BIT. Nearly threw the car sideways in the OPPOSITE direction. So with nothing but deep, rock-filled ditches to the sides of us, not knowing what was coming around the rest of the corner while playing tobaggan, I elected to exit the roadway gracefully onto an ATV path entrance, where the car wouldn't be hurt.

Just goes to show, tires can surprise you, depending on the car.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would love a set of tires just for winter but I can't afford two sets along with a new pair of wheels. A/S's will have to do. thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
It's usually the storage of them that's the hardest to pull off. Otherwise, a set of used steelies with winter rubber would run you about $200, or $400+ if you get a set of 15-16" VW/Audi stock alloys. Changing them is just like swapping a spare (well, 4 spares), and it's a good time to rotate the tires as well. Then factor in the wear that ISN'T happening on your good set of summer tires, which you can switch to better-performing models since you don't have to worry about snow so much.

Definitely worth it in the long run. Unless you live in the Southern US. ;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh yea, I plan on getting new wheels in the future so I can have a summer set, and use my wheels now for the winter.

Going to college isn't helping out with the money situation either haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts