Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I uprgrade to Brembo slotted rotors for my rears, will they last longer than the OE crap rotors? I sit in traffic a lot so my rears go quickly. I plan on changing them myself (pleeb). I am wondering if there is any way around changing rotors and pads each and every time. Could there be a rotor that would last through at least two sets of pads? I need to change my wifes' and mine asap. Money is tight (unemployed), but I definately need to change both cars. Only serious replies please.
I haven't seen any answers to this question among all the threads that have been posted about brakes.:nervous: :nervous:

04 1.8t gls
01.5 V6 glx

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
1) Buy car (new pads and rotors of course)
2) 30K pads wore out...machined rotors
3) 60K pads wore out...no machined rotors
4) 70K replaced rotors and pads because I wanted the looks of drilled and slotted

I am pretty sure the rotors can go through 2 sets of pads. I didn't have any warping issues. Else get the cheap OPPARTS rotors off of getcoolparts.com

Slotted rotors won't help the life...they are just for looks. If anything they will wear out quicker, and tear the pads down sooner. Slotted rotors will definitly cost you more in the short and long run.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It isn't so much the rotors that will extend the life of a brake job, but the quality of the pads. You can buy PBR Deluxe Plus Organic pads and because they wear longer than the POS OEM pads you likely won't have to deal with warping rotors, and you'll have 90% less brake dust. You can find them on the Marketplace forum for $29 plus shipping for rear pads.
The slotted rotors may be for looks but they also enhance braking in wet conditions. I would agree that they will reduce the life of the pads.:thumbup:
Any time you do a brake job you should seat in the pads which will result in better braking and reduce the possiblilty of warping.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
As manxdaddy says, the life is dependant on the pad and rotor material and how the interact, along with your personal driving style. My OE brakes last 60,000 miles and still had life on them when I did the brake job.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Urlik said:
As manxdaddy says, the life is dependant on the pad and rotor material and how the interact, along with your personal driving style. My OE brakes last 60,000 miles and still had life on them when I did the brake job.
I'm not suprised you got that many miles on the brakes living in Montana. Don't you guys usually drive about 200 miles between applications of the brakes unless you are going over Lolo Pass every day?:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts