Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always believed that there is no break-in oil used by car manufactures. But can someone explain why in Honda owner’s manual on how to break-in section, it does say “don’t change oil before the specified maintenance schedule”, which is 10,000 miles for the first oil change? Why Honda engines can use ultra-thin 0W-20 conventional oil and last for 10K miles and we need to use thicker 5W-40 synthetic oil (very expensive) and last only 5K miles (not just on 1.8T turbo, but V6 and W8 )? :???:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Different motors experience different stresses due to engineering differences, tolerances, metal composition, compression ratios, A/F mixtures, etc. that dictate the lubrication type and change intervals. Same reason the inline 6 in my Trailblazer will run on 5w-30 conventional for up to 10K.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
It is all in engine design. I have no good reason that Honda warns to not change the oil, but I can pretty much assure you that it is not a special break-in oil if it's in there for 10K!!!

Our engines (particularly the 1.8t) stress the oil pretty heavily. The high temperatures that the turbocharger operates at are very detrimental to the oil and that is the primary reason for the change interval of 5K. It is another good reason for the 5W40 requirement. At exhaust gas temps, a 20W oil would be gone.

The V6s leak, so 5W is a minimum. ;)

·
Registered
829 Posts
When my motor was rebuilt, Dynospot had recomended to use a thinner non-synthetic oil during my break in to allow the rings to set against the cylinder walls. Using a synthetic or inproper oil grade prior to break-in may result in the rings not sealing properly being too lubricated as blow by can occur on a brand new engine.

·
Registered
29,164 Posts
rpaller said:
Different motors experience different stresses due to engineering differences, tolerances, metal composition, compression ratios, A/F mixtures, etc. that dictate the lubrication type and change intervals. Same reason the inline 6 in my Trailblazer will run on 5w-30 conventional for up to 10K.
Sump size has more to do with the extended intervals (for dino) than anything else. 10K on Dino? I hope you have an 8qt or larger sump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.