Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been a member on here for some time. I had been searching for a new ride 2 years ago and was deciding between a Mazda 6 and the VW Passat.

After taking one ride around, the passat was a clear choice. I ended up getting a STELLAR deal on my car. Its a 2003 VW Passat 5spd 1.8T and it's Silverstone Grey. The car originally had 117,000 km on it and I paid $8,300.

In my two years of ownership, I've done the following:

• Tint - 20% all the way around
  • Chrysler Sebring antenna mod (8$ dealership price)
  • new shift boot (ebay)
  • hacked into the rear speakers for a preout to my 2x12'' subs
  • R8 18'' Replicas with Pirelli Pzero Nero tires
  • APR full program for my K03 (Not functional due to my
  • Did a full engine timing belt, etc overhall (All belts, tore off head and did a full clean, new plugs, 710n diverter, new coils)
  • full s4 front control arm kit and the handling is wicked
  • stock monster mats (thanks collates)
  • 4300k front headlights and fog lights (replaced for 4300K in August/14)
  • boost guage uninstalled and for sale.
  • new boost guage purchased and installed
  • Full Votex Painted and installed
  • Electrical Mods:
    - Wired Cruise control to Turn stalk (b5) recently upgraded turn stalk to different model, love it!
    - Wired up custom harness for w8 Headlights
    - Wiring Rear Fog light
    - Wiring b6 side mirror turn indicators
    - looking to wire W8 Speedo (SOLD instead)
  • new axels (went for local aftermarket with lifetime warranty - know i won't be happy but the price was right for now.
  • new boost guage purchased and installed
  • window clip was fixed in the rear.
  • 2007 GTI steering wheel with bag.
To Date, this car has been a pleasure to drive. I keep up with all my oil changes at my local VW dealership (although i hate the wait times) and try to keep the car looking great.

Stuff that needs work at this point:

• pcv should be cleaned out spring time (neglected)
As for upcoming Mods, I have been 2 years into this project and I'm really craving a huge upgrade and think that the costs seem just right.

I've talked to my local APR dealer - Fred in london @ Porche. He has informed me that if i buy all my cars upgrades (K04, injectors, downpipe, high flow cat, etc) he will only charge labour to do the upgrade since the programming is already installed. Since this conversation, porche london doesn't deal with apr and i'll have to find another source

Since then, I've been talking diligently to Doug at Frankenturbo.com. He offers an amazing price and his specs seem perfect. Its a bit more than your average K04 but your getting an above average product.

Doug has informed me that his kit...
* is a hybrid turbo with fitment virtually identical to a K04-015. *It comes as a kit including a high-volume manifold and specially-sized turbo inlet pipe. *Also included is a diverter valve, with the option to substitute a 3" MAF.
*FrankenTurbos have been running in various cars for over a year now. *We spent months in testing to ensure build quality as well as design integrity before starting to mass-market them. *The turbos have collectively logged hundreds of thousands of miles now without a single failure due to manufacturing defect. *In addition, the kits are covered for a full year against defect and carry an additional $150 "no fault replacement" of the CHRA.
Doug also only offers 35$ shipping to canada and is writing MADE IN USA all over the box to reduce boarder charges! So the total cost of his system is 1099 plus 35 shipping.

on top of this, i'm looking at green giant injectors (380cc) and a new 3" downpipe.

anyhow... not sure when this is happening but... i just wanted to let ya know... got some plans...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds exciting man! So what exactly is the plan for the programming? You plan on keeping the APR programming with this set-up?
As per the programming, Fred said that he can just alter my K03 APR to a K04 APR program. then adjust to all my other upgrades. I'm thinking i am going to need another job for the Winter! but.. it is a solid investment.

Total costs are $1134 turbo shipped. $250 injectors. $180 downpipe.

Fred from APR told me that I should expect around 100 hp over stock without the knowledge of the Frankenturbo. Frankenturbo told me i should be able to get 250hp at the wheels with proper programming.

Kinda curious though.

Besides this project, I got a sick motorcycle that I'm putting on the road this year.. so... :S finances will be an issue.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Sounds great man, but remember, cars are rarely "solid investments"! That being said, why shouldn't we enjoy our cars as VW enthusiasts?

Hmm, I'll be interested to learn more about how he can alter the APR programming. So the APR K04 program will be a custom program?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great man, but remember, cars are rarely "solid investments"! That being said, why shouldn't we enjoy our cars as VW enthusiasts?

Hmm, I'll be interested to learn more about how he can alter the APR programming. So the APR K04 program will be a custom program?
by the sounds of it, its not a custom program bc i think there is already a k04 program for audi a4. if your more interested, i will let you know mid summer when this project gets underway.

Had a crap day today. Got out of my house this morning.. pulled outa ym driveway... went around the corner on my Pnero Zero tires... moved about 10 ft UNTIL I STOPPED DEAD. 4 MINUTES LATER WITH MY 4WAYS ON.. I THREW IT IN REVERSE AND DROVE BACK DOWN MY STREET TO A MAIN STREET.

while on my way to work, still coudln't get traction... turned around and drove home. (btw, i only work 5 km from work.. fml) Got home after driving a total of 4 km in 45 min due to slick roads and shitty drivers plus my tires.

Went on the phone and ordered some sweet snow tires tho. I called everyone around me and it was either 610$ for the crappy snow tires or 940 for the best snow tires. ended up ordering them from Conneticut through TIRERACK's WArehouse. They are supposed to be here friday which doesn't help me much this week but... it was 558 shipped. another 75 here to install. Then... i'm set for about 635 for Blizzaks. plus i'm hoping to sell my old 195-65-15 tires. that are at about 7/16's left :wrench:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Hey man, theres a guy that you can ship tires to from Tirerack, he's located in buffalo and he takes the order and you drive over there he puts them on for you, takes your old tires and you drive back.

Just letting you know for next time, it saves you some cash if you buy brand new tires.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey Mozzy,
good to see someone else from the Kw area! Your car sound like a beauty, throw some pics up here when you get a chance!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just letting you know for next time, it saves you some cash if you buy brand new tires.

i'm set for about 635 for Blizzaks. plus i'm hoping to sell my old 195-65-15 tires. that are at about 7/16's left
I did buy new tires.

I opted out of shipping to buffalo due to convienence and time. I had pondered the thought alot. Also, considering walmart has a goodyear winter tire for 325 installed out the door for me. Shipping to buffalo woulda been 40ish... then 45ish in gas round trip then the shops always charge you more, the recommended ones atleast.

I ended up spending alot extra to ship them to my house. I think base price of tires was only $350 and i spent 575 to my door. they charge 100$ shipping, hst, brokerage, and handling fee. I think these are outrageous but i am still saving ample amount comparatively to the local tire shops. Same tires in cambridge were priced, installed at 923 (taxes in). I am getting mine installed for 643.2 thorugh the dealership. Actually cheaper than most places. Everyone else wanted 75, they will do it for 60.:wrench:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I haven't installed my new chrome china euro switch yet but its sitting in the house waiting to be installed. The other day i went to clean my car because i had a bunch of dirt on my car and driver side mirror I wanted to clean off. Turns out the drivers side mirror was broke and had burnt out and looks like a poo smear accross it.

jumped on the good o'l ebay today and found these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=170579034049

I figure for the price difference, i might as try them out considering the last ones were of better quality and failed.

I am going to be looking to give out my old pair so if anyone knows someone who is looking for a blue non split level with 1 broke mirror(hopefully right), let me know.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can once i get around to adding pics. I am usually on at work and they don't allow me to upload any pics.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright peoples... I am sitting at work right now and i can't say shit to anyone about this... but i am officially giving my two week notice as of friday. I am signing a job offer tommorow morning for a great company... and starting in 2-4 weeks.

I can't tell anyone at work til i get everything signed but i can barely work because i am so excited to leave. I have been at my current job for... 8.5 years. ya... and i'm only 26. I don't know if that makes me crazy.. but.. they've given me alot of advancements over the years and have kept me around.. atleast for 2 more weeks...

The funny part is that how it turned out, i am giving my two weeks, heading on vacation next week, then coming back for a week and then I'm done!

Wow... anyway..

*high five*

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am actually doing a killer road trip with my girlfriend.

Leaving Saturday at 2 am and heading to florida but making a excursion.

We are heading to New York, NY to see the Yankees vs Jays and doing some sight seeing. Then sunday we are heading down to Washington,DC for a few hours. Then on monday, we are getting into Orlando. We actaully are seeing the jays on tuesday versus the rays. hitting up disney and just relaxing in the sun/pool area at our killer condo!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Congrats on the job! Yeah don't tell anyone till you submit your 2wks.

Sounds like a busy vacation week, hope you have fun :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Nice man, very jealous. New York has soooooo much going on if you've never been before, amazing city though. I enjoyed Washington DC also, went to a whole bunch of crazy museums, the white house, etc. Bring the sun back with you!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts