Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently installed Audi A8 upgrade with slotted rotors and Axxis Deluxe Plus Pads. I followed the bedding instructions as per Zeckhausen racing. Everything was great for about 2 weeks.

Now, usually when the brakes get warm(sometimes when cold though) it sounds like the caliper isnt completely releasing. there is a hum or a whooping noise upon accelerating from a stop(almost like the pad is stuck to the rotor). sometimes it occurs while cruising at low speeds. Always on the front left corner. Sound always stops immediately when the brakes are re-applied.

They brakes also squeal like an SOB when under light braking.

I thought that maybe I didnt bed them in properly, and it says on the Zeckhausen site that sometimes you need to bed brakes in a second time. Did this, and paying particular attention to the cooling part, both times.

This didnt not help, so i greased the caliper guide pins hoping that would help. did not, still have the same issue. Last night the issue occured on both sides. :mad:

Anyone have a similar experience? I'm not sure what my next step should be. Thanks for your help.

Daniel

·
Registered
628 Posts
Dude!!

I have a similiar problem. I upgraded to the ECS OEM BBK with A8 rotors and TT caliper carriers and my brakes squeeal like a PIG when start to brake. As soon as they warm up the squealing begins. Everything was cool for the first month or so and then little by little the squeal got louder and louder. So my buddy took everything a part cleaned everything up with brake clean and put it back together. Two days later squeal came back!! :mad: We bed the breaks originally using the instructions off of the ECS website.

I also bought the pads (Hawk HPS) from ECS. I called them up the other day because I was fed up with the noise. Hawk won't warranty/give me a new set of pads because they don't warranty against noise. Ok fair enough. So ECS knocked a couple of bucks off a set of PBR ceramics. So I'm going to give those a try shortly.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
i kinda had the same issue . . . . but it was because the brake fluid was so badly boiled during the bedding process . . . . after i bled them, no more issues . . . . the fluid that came out looked horrible . . . . almost had a foamy consistency to it

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

i had the fluid flushed, as it was just about at it's 2 year change interval anyway, and this appears to have fixed the problem. i only drove about five miles in the rain, so we shall see. the pedal feel is 100% better at least.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE 2: got the brakes relatively warm today(no racing or track-like driving) and they started making the noise again. :cry:

anyone care to take a stab at it?

my last thought is that the pads could be glazed?? what can i do to fix this?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, last wkend, i disassembled the brakes AGAIN and regreased the guide pins, AGAIN. problem was not solved. while the car was still up on the jack stands, i spun the wheel(by hand) and the rotor seemed to be coming in contact with the pad at one point in the rotation......warped rotor i guess?
after bedding the pads in both times, i was very careful to properly cool the brakes before coming to a stop.
could this be the source of my problem?

Daniel

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If you calipers were sticking, your rotor should glow after long periods of driving. It sounds like you may have a warped rotor. During your bedding process, did you drive through any puddles? One of the worst things for hot rotors is water. It seems like a common problem with the ECS kit. Maybe if both you and NYA VW get in contact with ECS, it may be more pursausive to have the problem fixed by them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. BTW, are you using upgraded hoses? Maybe the Tyrol sport caliper bushing may come in advantage.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ugh, stillll not resolved....

today i resurfaced the rotor using some sandpaper to remove any possible brake pad deposits as suggested by [email protected] i sent ECS another email, hopefully they will respond. rebedding was also done. no help, brakes continue to rub after releasing the pedal.....WHere to go from here?

:(

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brakes have been bled, including having all fluid flushed and replaced(it was at 2 yr service interval). pads are not shimmed, and from what ive read and been told, should not have to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.