Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my rotors and pads and I've noticed that my braking power comes predominately from my fronts now while it used to come mostly from the rear. (When I removed my pads at 50K, my fronts had 70% left and my rears had 15% left)

I would prefer a more balanced feel so I would like to increase the bias of the rear brakes. How can I do that?

Thanks!

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
You can't.

It is possible your rear pads never bedded properly and the rotors are now glazed, though. This would account for your perception of reduced rear brake power.

Or, the pads you chose for the rear were not the best choice for maximum stoppage...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sharky, would you bed rears as hard as front? I bedded my fronts really hard (that Zukenhousen sp? method), but when I did the rears, I didn't do too much.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
ganseg said:
Sharky, would you bed rears as hard as front? I bedded my fronts really hard (that Zukenhousen sp? method), but when I did the rears, I didn't do too much.

I do them about the same, but with the parking brake handle.

Actually, it isn't that close to the same. I get on the highway and do it there, and after I've hit them pretty hard a few times I drive several miles for them to cool off.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The Zuch method really fries them. I have heard of people starting fires!

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm I'm using Axxis Deluxe Plus pads front and rear. I also bedded both F&R at the same time.

I don't like the dive in the nose that I get now. Previously when the rears bit a lot harder, I got little to no dive at all. Is it possible I retracted the rear pistons too far when I installed the rotors/pads?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
S_Klass said:
I don't like the dive in the nose that I get now. Previously when the rears bit a lot harder, I got little to no dive at all. Is it possible I retracted the rear pistons too far when I installed the rotors/pads?
They are supposed to re-adjust the first time you hit the brakes, but it is likely worth driving around in a parking lot really slow and with your foot on the brake pedal, pull the parking brake lever several times to the point of locking up the rear tires but not quite. You want all the slop out of the rear calipers you can get....

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sharky said:
They are supposed to re-adjust the first time you hit the brakes, but it is likely worth driving around in a parking lot really slow and with your foot on the brake pedal, pull the parking brake lever several times to the point of locking up the rear tires but not quite. You want all the slop out of the rear calipers you can get....
I'll do that and see what I come up with. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm I did some low speed (10 MPH) brake runs by yanking on the hand brake till the car coasted to a stop and I could really tell the rears weren't biting.

On a slight downhill gradiant, I did 1 more low speed brake via hand brake and all of a sudden I hear a noticible pop sound accompanied by a slight screech (like I chirped the tires) from the rear and from then on my rears seem much better now.

Initial feelings say I get less drive and more balanced braking. I'll check back in again when I've put more miles down.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Um, this is a very dangerous excercise because fronts on any car are *supposed* to 90% of the braking. In the event of rear lock-up, you are guaranteed an unpredictably oscillating rear and probably an uncontrolled spin. The rear brakes are never meant to provide more than minor assistance.

The way this car is set up, maybe the rears do 12% of the work (picking a number out of the air) instead of the usual 10%, but the main reason the rears wear out faster has not much to do with bias and a lot to do with the fact that the pads are relatively tiny pads meant for a much smaller car. The same pads can go on an A1 Jetta or '85 Scirocco both of which weighed ~1200 pounds less? So is it any surprise they wear out quickly helping to stop a 3500 pound instead of a 2300 pound car?

You really don't want to have much success in getting those rears to grab more than they are, because in the event you're a little too successful with this and the rears lock at high speed, you're toast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.