Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Passat V6 with 70K miles

I had Midas change my brakes (all four wheels) pads and rotors. I went with the Brembo (I think that is how it is spelled) rotors and mintex pads. I have about 500 miles on the car since the brake change so they should be seated by now.

I have two issues. One is my brakes sqeak. You can't hear it too much if the windows are up, but it is very loud if the windows are down. The other issue is the brake feel. They aren't as "grabby" as the OEM brakes.

Another thing to note is my brake fluid is up for changing (its been 2 years). Could that affect the brake feel?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just had a similiar problem. Could be a couple of things besides the brake fluid, which by the way you need to change. Sounds like you bought decent stuff. Did you bed the brakes in properly? Which type of Mintex did you get ? (Red box) You said the brake fluid was old.. Did they just top off the fluid? You might want to go back and have them bleed the brakes.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
You selected excellent rotors and subpar pads! Mintex's quality has gone to crap over the past few years, and they are far from the manufacturer they once were. The Redbox compound has pad deposition issues even after normal and race bedding procedures have been taken. I've also read that Mintex is one of the vendors who doesn't stick to true FMSI (Friction Materials Standards Institute) specifications for brakepads and attempts to cross-match too many models. Some Mintex Redbox pads are somewhat oversized to increase pad life, and this is a serious problem for some setups.

Question: Have you bedded in your brakepads?

Some mechanics will run the 500 mile brake break-in line and this will give you plenty of headaches. There's been too many discussions on this forum about bedding-in brake-pads. Visit David Zeckhausen's Brake Bed-In Technical Page and follow these instructions. Remember, Mintex pads have a few issues so you might have to do this quite a few times.

If you still have issues after bedding in the brakes, consider switching to a higher quality brakepad. I highly recommend PBR/Axxis pads to replace the OEM one's. Deluxe-Plus and Metal Masters are B5 Favorites for having excellent bite and are virtually dustless if installed correctly. Now I understand if you want to keep the Mintex, and if this is the case just have your mechanic apply some Anti-Squeal/Anti-Seize Compound on the rear shims of the brakepads. You can also buy adhesive shims from most Auto-Parts stores and apply those as well! This will deaden the vibration of your brakepads, therefore eliminating the squeal.

A brake-fluid flush can effect your pedal feel. Replace your fluid with a quality DOT4 fluid, like Castrol LMA or Ate Type 200.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.