Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that for the past couple of weeks every time I get out of my wifes car or she pulls up and I'm in the garage the car smells like burnt up brakes. I have also noticed the mileage has dropped down to about 20 mpg. So I'm thinking one of the brake pads is dragging or something or maybe the e-brake cables are too tight, I don't know. So how can I check this out? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
If a caliper is sticking, that wheel will get very hot. So go for a drive, and then feel each wheel. You will easily find the right one. Then either rebuild or replace the caliper.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've been told that sometimes regreasing the caliper slider pins can solve this, particularly for instance if an inner pad is wearing faster than an outer.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think your wife might be secretly driving the CRAP out of the car!
OR...
Maybe the calipers are sticking. If you are going to re-grease pins etc use copper grease. check if any of the little boots are ripped. No grease on disc or pads.
If you want to check and see which brake is sticking, take the car for a drive, and feel the wheels (don't touch the discs! oww). You might need to pop wheel trims if ya have em.
The offending brake should heat the wheel up pretty good. How far does your wife drive? If they are ALL heating up (can happen) be very careful, overheated brakes don't stop like they should....

All the best.

·
Registered
640 Posts
ive had that problem for the past.... few months i guess.... i greased up the caliper pins but that only seemed to last for a few days.... :banghead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts