Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just took the stock padfs off and put non sensor mintex red box on... i am getting a brake light on and also it says check brake pads.... is that because the sensor isnt hooked up any more or i didnt something wrong? and will take go away? how long?

thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i thought that the circuit is always broken unless the brake pads are worn. That would mean no brake light if there is no connector. Im not sure about this, but i thought no one had any problems going to a non censored pad. Did you take too much brake fluid out, or leave too much in? maybe someone else can speak

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah ive never heard of anyone having a problem with non sensor pads but i was wondering why i was saying "check brake pads" and the circle light stays on too...

i mean it seems to be fine but i dont want to get it on the raod and.... you know
if anyone can chime in the would but my mind at ease

thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
was that light on before yo changed ur pads, maybe go over to autozone, or get someone with a vagcom to erase the codes and see if they come back, which my guess is they wont. maybe if the lights turned on, they wont turn off till the code is erased, to discurage people from doing brake pads themselves, just another reason to go to dealership

·
Registered
917 Posts
You can disable the warning with the instructions from here:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72107

Per the Bentley wiring diagram, the left and right pad sensors are wired in series. The circuit runs from the warning light to the right pad, then to the left pad, then to ground.

I would say this means the sensors must conduct when they are "okay". Otherwise, both pads would have to wear down before the light comes on.

This would be easy enough to test by someone with pads having sensors: just unplug the sensor and see if the light comes on. Personally, that's a bit more effort than I care to make, but perhaps someone else who is bored might do it. :wink:

This would also mean there is a bit more to the warning light than the diagram indicates. If the light comes on when the pads wear and open the circuit, then more than just a lamp is involved. Actually, since the wear indicator light does come on during vehicle start, this in itself indicates there is more to the circuit than just the lamp, sensors and ground. In any case, it is better to build such a circuit with closure indicating "good"; this is because any interruption of the circuit (such as by the wires coming unplugged) should be flagged as a fault. Otherwise, due to some other problem, the circuit could fail to work even though the pads are worn down to the metal backing plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
danteshors
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing