Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001.5 1.8t, basically my brakes have been really soft and it seems like it takes too much to bring my car to a stop. I had to hit the brakes the other day and it waaay to long and I almost hit the car in front of me. Do I simply need new brakes or could this something else?

·
Registered
830 Posts
The pedal isn't hard? It feels spongy?
try bleeding the brakes, it might be a build up of air in the system.
If it were me I would change the fluid with a good quality dot 4 at the same time - it's the same thing plus another 10 minutes.
A litre tin will more than do it, actually 1/2 would probably do, but you don't want to get caught short for a couple of dollars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pedal isn't hard? It feels spongy?
try bleeding the brakes, it might be a build up of air in the system.
If it were me I would change the fluid with a good quality dot 4 at the same time - it's the same thing plus another 10 minutes.
A litre tin will more than do it, actually 1/2 would probably do, but you don't want to get caught short for a couple of dollars.
How would I bleed the system?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
There's a bazillion disc brake bleeding tutorials on YouTube; pick one. The B5 doesn't have a system that is in any way unusual, so just about any generic brake bleeding process will work fine. All flushing entails is bleeding the system until the bubbles clear AND the fluid looks new.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Now that you know that your car has a braking problem, it should not be driven until fixed. You have way too much at stake if, for instance, a kid runs out after a ball and gets hit. With due respect to Tea drinker, brake systems don't just collect air. If the problem is in fact air, it may have gotten in due to very low fluid level in the master cylinder, which can easily happen if the brakes were bled improperly. Other things to watch for are loose caliper bolts, which allow the caliper to deflect rather than grip the pads, binding caliper pins, etc.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm agree with ylwagon.

Don't drive the car until fixed and air doesn't just get into the system. You need to figure out HOW the air got into the system and fix that problem. Otherwise air will just get right back into the system after you bleed it. You'll want to check the reservoir and lines for cracks, leaks, or anything unusual.

The brakes are the most important system on the car followed closely by steering and the safety systems (seat belt and air bags).

·
Registered
593 Posts
I as well agree with ylwagon... it is something that should be fixed immediately. If you don't feel confident doing this job just give a call around to some indy shops. I haven't looked at the price lately but its not much, certainly less than an accident :angel:

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
You need someone who has experience with brake systems inspect yours. There are many things that could need attention and a visual inspection by a qualified person is the way to go about it. Are these the original brake pads and rotors? The car may simply be due for a complete brake job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had something of the same issue, I agree with the above, firstly DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. It sounds if there is indeed Air in the lines. A number of things can cause this. Have you looked to see if there are any leak marks on the brake calibers. Check all four wheels to see if there is brake fluid anywhere behind the wheels. If there is no sign of a leak then the first thing to do is change the fluid by the 2 person pump method, this is the easy way. Again as above lots of stuff on youtube on how to do this. If after changing the Dot4 you still have the same issue, then I would check the calipers. Its possible that they are not forcing against the rotor. If you suspect the calipers are ok then you move to the Master Cylinder, its possible that this might be loosing pressure. If all this still doesnt fix it, then you have a booster issue. The booster is what causes the presure to build when the pedal is pressed. no presure means no brakes. I had this very issue as snow had gotten into the well behind the firewall and the MC it also got into the booster, I had a soft pedal and the wheels wouldnt lock correctly, had the booster changed and all was fine again. I think this is a comen issue. Not sure if any of this will help but good luck and please post back feedback of your issue

·
Registered
62 Posts
as usual Steve is correct to have your system inspected. I also have a 2001.5 with 232k on the clock. At the last front brake inspection I noticed the flexable brake lines were rigid, stiff and cracking. Make sure your Indy does a good review of the total brake system.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lots of variables here, but severely worn brake pads and rotors can cause this to happen. Unless you cracked open a bleeder valve or the system itself is failing, it's tough to get air in the lines.

What mileage and when did you last have the brakes serviced (if at all).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts