Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some brake upgrades.

I am looking at Wilwood, Brembo, ECS, etc. I was looking for some alittle more aggressive. I am trying to replace all 4 sides, rotors all around, deffinitly the front calipers and possible the rear calipers.

Does anyone have any recomendations on Big Brake Kits?
Will the Audi S4 Big Brake upgrades work on a B5.5?
Are there any big brake options for the rear?

Please let us know.

Thanks,
Bernie

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I would go for a Stoptech big break upgrade. They are about 600 dollars cheaper than the Brembo upgrades, and are a little bit better suited for use on the street. I heard something about high maintainance on the wilwood system. I guess you can't go wrong with Brembo if you have the money, and ECS Sells some nice kits as well.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
For front brakes you have really wide choice:Alcon,Mov'it,Brembo(2 kits),Stoptech,RPI(based on Willwood),ECS (3-4 kits based on combinations of aftermarket rotors and OE calipers and aftermarket rotors and Porsche calipers)

On rear: Mov'it,i think Stoptech also and BIRA.org system based on S4 caliper/bracket with A8 rotor ( http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel1.shtml )
I learned that 269mm rear disc is on limit of OE e-brake cable, if you go bigger you need to considere swap of cable (maybe Phaeton or Audi A6)

You can also opt for F/R combo from W8
Think that at the moment all EU systems are way to expensive because of exchange rates.
In any case give PM to The Swami, he is biggest expert on b5/5.5 brake systems around.

Personally have on fronts 320x28mm 2piece drilled rottors with 4pot mono block calipers from Brembo with EBC Green Stuff pads.On rears OE sized drilled Zimmermann rotors with OE calipers and Mintex red box (thinking on BIRA system)

Good luck and keep us posted on progress :thumbup:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it true that the A4/S4 is the same as the Passat.
The reason I am asking is because in some application guides stae a part number and specs on the A4/S4. But not the same for the Passat.

I just wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
dub-nation said:
The reason I am asking is because in some application guides stae a part number and specs on the A4/S4. But not the same for the Passat.

Brembo uses for A4 and Passat same kits (like mine); caliper have pistons 36/40mm (first smaller, second bigger)
Brembo uses for S4 355x32mm with 40/44mm pistons in caliper.
On all A4 and Passat calipers are same, monoblock aluminium fixed, Lotus system
For S4, Brembo uses semi-floating system of pistons

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Dub-Nation, there's quite a few upgrades available for our Passats. First you have to decide on what you are trying to accomplish and your budget. To be honest with you, a rear brake upgrade on the B5 frame isn't needed unless you plan on racing your car! Also, not all Audi Kits will cross-match with the Passat because of frame/wheel offset issues. It's always better to purchase kits that are specifically designed for the Passat.

When I ran the Wilwood front/rear combo kit on a 2000 4 Motion the performance was excellent, especially when using Carbotech or Pagid Blue race pads. The problem with this kit is that under certain conditions, the calipers need to be rebuilt. I ended up switching to a Stoptech kit that was staggered. After my tuner consulted with Stoptech Engineers about the setup I ran a Passat 332x32mm set up front, and a 328mm x 28mm kit in the rear. This setup ran perfectly on the Passat, but I had to run 18" wheels which slightly hindered my track performance.

Now that I'm driving a W8 and was blessed/cursed with having problems with my brakes, I learned quite a few things about VW/Audi systems. The W8 shares the Lucas H2 Caliper setup with the Audi 2.7T and All-Road systems. This setup is very close in design to the Twin Turbo Audi S4's but the H2's system has a smaller offset/well-clearance. The component that separates most VW and Audi systems is the mounting brackets which is why Bira.org has done an excellent job with their various kit specifications based off of the A8 rotors.

Another company which has peaked my interest is MOVit. This company has designed Big Brake Kits for BMW's for years, and they have quite a few solid setups for VW. I considered upgrading my W8's brakes with this system but the primary U.S. Distributor has ceased to sell them and it's a pain to try to get replacement parts from Europe. Imagine waiting weeks for rotors?? :(

Honestly Dubnation, what are you trying to do? If you want better braking, have you looked at the inexpensive route of switching to better rotors and pads with new stainless-steel lines and higher boiling-point brake-fluid? Take a look at the Stoptech floating rotor setup up front, and switch to a better pad in the rear and I'm sure you will be very pleased with the outcome.

PM me and I can give you more specifics. I'm praying that Stoptech eventually develops a kit for the W8. When they do, I'm in there like a roach in the sugar-factory.

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami

Special Shoutouts to all my B5ers who made it to the Maryland GTG. I'm sorry I missed it, but I will be at EuroCentro on Sunday.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
dub-nation said:

Just FYI, unless I'm missing something, it appears you have a FWD Passat. Your front brakes are generally interchangable with similar Audi models, but your rear brakes are only interchangable with rear setups for FWD Audis. I.e., you cannot put a brake setup designed for the rear of an S4 on your Passat if it's FWD. You cannot do the A8 rotor/S4 caliper rear upgrade. If you've got one of them newfangled 1.8T 4Motions, ignore me :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Swami said:
Dub-Nation, there's quite a few upgrades available for our Passats. First you have to decide on what you are trying to accomplish and your budget. To be honest with you, a rear brake upgrade on the B5 frame isn't needed unless you plan on racing your car! Also, not all Audi Kits will cross-match with the Passat because of frame/wheel offset issues. It's always better to purchase kits that are specifically designed for the Passat.

When I ran the Wilwood front/rear combo kit on a 2000 4 Motion the performance was excellent, especially when using Carbotech or Pagid Blue race pads. The problem with this kit is that under certain conditions, the calipers need to be rebuilt. I ended up switching to a Stoptech kit that was staggered. After my tuner consulted with Stoptech Engineers about the setup I ran a Passat 332x32mm set up front, and a 328mm x 28mm kit in the rear. This setup ran perfectly on the Passat, but I had to run 18" wheels which slightly hindered my track performance.

Now that I'm driving a W8 and was blessed/cursed with having problems with my brakes, I learned quite a few things about VW/Audi systems. The W8 shares the Lucas H2 Caliper setup with the Audi 2.7T and All-Road systems. This setup is very close in design to the Twin Turbo Audi S4's but the H2's system has a smaller offset/well-clearance. The component that separates most VW and Audi systems is the mounting brackets which is why Bira.org has done an excellent job with their various kit specifications based off of the A8 rotors.

Another company which has peaked my interest is MOVit. This company has designed Big Brake Kits for BMW's for years, and they have quite a few solid setups for VW. I considered upgrading my W8's brakes with this system but the primary U.S. Distributor has ceased to sell them and it's a pain to try to get replacement parts from Europe. Imagine waiting weeks for rotors?? :(

Honestly Dubnation, what are you trying to do? If you want better braking, have you looked at the inexpensive route of switching to better rotors and pads with new stainless-steel lines and higher boiling-point brake-fluid? Take a look at the Stoptech floating rotor setup up front, and switch to a better pad in the rear and I'm sure you will be very pleased with the outcome.

PM me and I can give you more specifics. I'm praying that Stoptech eventually develops a kit for the W8. When they do, I'm in there like a roach in the sugar-factory.

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami

Special Shoutouts to all my B5ers who made it to the Maryland GTG. I'm sorry I missed it, but I will be at EuroCentro on Sunday.
Where is the EuroCentro being held this sunday....near DC/MD?

·
Registered
19 Posts
May I know What is the minimum requirement for the wheel if you like to go with a W8 front and rear setup for the Brake pads. Like to used stock parts if they do a better job then the current OEM setup. Do u need to change the Calipers as well. Have a 1.8T B5 with Road America on them ... u could say it's a B5.05. :oops:

Thanks in advance for the answers.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
GoldenPassat said:
Where is the EuroCentro being held this sunday....near DC/MD?
It's at AutoCentro a small independent Audi/VW shop in Rockville, Md. They are having a VW/Audi show today at 1:00PM. There's going to be a nice turnout, especially on this nice day!

AutoCentro
7420 Westmore Road
Rockville, Maryland 20850

Here's the original post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1342662

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Nenad said:
The Swami,
were you forced to change e-brake cable when you runned 328mm on rears, or it was sufficient?
TIA
Nenad
Nenad, yes the Emergency Brake cable was replaced when I ran the RPI-Equipped Wilwood Kit. :lol:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The Swami said:
Nenad said:
The Swami,
were you forced to change e-brake cable when you runned 328mm on rears, or it was sufficient?
TIA
Nenad
Nenad, yes the Emergency Brake cable was replaced when I ran the RPI-Equipped Wilwood Kit. :lol:
BINGO :bow: , from what car you took cable and did you have extra e-brake caliper? Tell me more, please. :thumbup:

TIA
Nenad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts