Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to need new brakes soon and dont want to just replace them with stock. i heard you can put porsche brakes on. any info would be awsome. price is somewhat of an issue.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Quick question. Has anyone dealt with Bira.org? From what I understand, they only sell the caliper carrier. You have to supply the calipers, rotors, bolts, and lines.
Does anyone know how much they charge for the caliper carriers?
Do you have to change your brake lines when doing this upgrade?
Has anyone thought about fabricating a carrier themselves?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'm a BIRA member, and basically they do a group buy on the caliper carriers pretty regularly, or you can buy them as a set for $250, but again you must be a member in order to purchase them.

YES you absolutely must switch to stainless steel brake lines.

It is my understanding that fabricating the bracket yourself is against the BIRA organization's bylaws and non-disclosure agreement you sign when you join.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I really fail to see why two small pieces of metal should cost so much.

Are there any other options for the carriers?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
With the A8 brake upgrade, dont forget that you wont be able to run 15 inch wheels anymore. Thats the only thing holding me back from upgrading to them right now. I still run the stock 15s during the winter.

Its hard to convince myself that I need 600 bucks for a brake upgrade, and then another 600 bucks for another set of wheels and tires for the winter.

I'm just going to go with ATE Powerdiscs and axxis pads.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have 17's, and live in Florida....sooooo... ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well, I got the porcshe boxster upgrade fairly cheap. I spent little less than $1000 to put all the parts together. Since I was getting stuff for 3 other members I did get some good deals.

The boxster calipers can be bought separately for about $600/pair new, or you can start calling junkyards for about $200/pair.

The carrier, install hardwares, SS lines can be purchased through www.evoms.com. I went through Jordan and he did give me a GB discount since I was buying for 4 sets.

All the expense including shipping came out around $450/set includding two sets of caliper paint and Porsche Decals for the caliper and all the shipping charges.

We all went with ECS 2 piece A8 replica rotor set and this bump up another $450, but if you stay with 1 piece A8 rotor and spend $200 instead.

You can get set of boxster caliper PBR ultimate pads for $69 from www.importrp.com

This is how you can get porsche boxster set up for less than $1000.

Getting stuff for bulk does help with cost. So, I would recommend gathering few members together and order in bulk sets.

hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
ChkYaHead: The reason for the expense is that anyone can grab a set of calipers from a dealer, rotors that will fit, but designing that piece of metal that makes everything work together is where the money is to be made.

The Caliper bracket is the heart and soul of a BBK. Without it, you just have a bunch of brake parts and no way to make them work.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yeah, well just cause a part is integral doesn't mean a simple piece of machined metal should cost so much.

Passat2001.5....thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts