Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My B5 is at 72k and the front rotors are starting to rust. Called a guy at Tirerack who said I should drive it and then inspect it (may be superficial rust due to the east coast weather that goes away after a few miles on each trip). These are the OEM rotors. You think I should replace them? If so, which are the best in terms of staying rust free and come at a good value?

·
Registered
605 Posts
All rotors will rust unless they are coated with cadmium or something. They are plain steel. As far as replacing them, if you have 72k on the original rotors they are probably due for a replacement unless you drive all highway miles.

My car has 68k and I want to get new rotors and pads this spring but I was wondering if it was worth it to get cadmium coated rotors. I hate the look of rusty rotors.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Plated rotors don't rust, but don't think they will look pretty. There is too much heat involved, cadmium won't look pretty after a while too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn , they all will rust? Here's another issue: the hub that sits btwn my aftermarket rims and rotors are rusting too, esp. the front ones. I m guessing that the rust is spreading from the hubs to the rotors as opposed to the rotors just rusting on their own.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait a minute, they shouldn't all rust. Stainless steel doesnt. I know Raybestos sells stainless steel rotors. (PG plus vsm- vehicle specific metallurgy). I bet these are better than the OEM's, but feel free to correct me on that.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Raybestos rotors are horrible! They are the worst, as far as expanding during hard braking and will easily warp. I needed a quick set for a race in my old 300ZX and used a set from the closest Auto Parts Shop I could find near Road Atlanta. (A freakin' PEP Boys!) Needless to say my car finished the event but the rotors were glowing like a 1.8T Turbo.

My friend, all rotors rust on the braking surface! A few taps on the brakes after a couple miles of driving will remove rust from the face of the rotor. Now rusting on the rotor hats is a different story!!!

There's two ways of preventing rust from the hats of your rotors:

1) Purchasing Cadmium plated rotors from vendors like ECSTuning.
* Very expensive, and I had bad experiences trying to bed plated rotors with non-metallic/organic pads.

2) Painting just the rotor hats with a high-temperature engine or caliper paint.
* Inexpensive and looks good. Doesn't hinder performance of rotor at all.

I normally paint my rotor hats with Rustoleum Silver Heat Resistant Paint or Caliper Paint, depending on what I see laying in the garage. You can also use BBQ Grille paint!!

Here's the article with instructions that I used to prepare my rotors. http://www.volvospeed.com/Mods/rotor_painting.htm

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would powdercoating the hats and calipers be a good option? Too expensive right. Hey, great info, swami! Appreciate it. But can you advise me on one other pertinent issue: the hub that sits btwn each aftermarket rim and rotor is rusting esp. the front ones. Should i even be concerned about them?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Man, you must be holding on the wheel of the SS Minnow with Gilligan and Skipper because powder-coating rotor hats is going OVERBOARD! I know a few people who have powdercoated calipers for show-cars, but to each his own. A few good coats of caliper paint does a fine job!!

I wouldn't be concerned about the slight rusting on the rotor hats and wheel hubs. When it's time to replace the rotors, just prep the rotors by painting them and call it a day. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts