Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would see if anyone else has had issues with their OEM brake rotors warping and whether there is any way to play that into a warraty issue with the dealers? I'm thinking it's just wear and tear and it's not covered but it made me wonder when I last had my car in for my 30K service and they do a break inspection, they claimed I was all good but my front rotors are warped and actually need replacing. I can feel it really bad when I'm slowing down at a light and the car does the lurching move. Any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was your situation? How many miles? Where they flawed in some way? Didn't they tell you that your brakes are a wear and tear, up-keep item and that you are responsable for them? I started to have rotor fade at about 29K and I've only owned the car for a little over a year now. The previous owner was a 40+ year old woman, I can't imagine she rode them that hard but who knows.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
My rotors had to be replaced the day I got the car :mad: Under warranty of course. The dealer acted like they were doing me a favor by not charging me anything :crazy: They should have noticed when the car was in for prep and test drive.
This seems to be a common problem and my wifes Maxima rotors warped like crazy. My friends Audi S4 rotors were warped day of delivery too!
Now you know how I got my screen name :(

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so you had them replace when you purchased (I assume used?), what about the second time, how many miles did you put on the new OE rotors before they needed replacing? Do you think I have a case here to go to my dealer with even with 30K on them. My main complaint is they didn't even say they needed replacing when they checked them (or did they check them). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Mine are warped, I only notice it at a certain time during stopping and not all the time, I guess I've gotten used to it.

What I haven't gotten used to is all the trips to the dealer, but I'm done with that. They are getting the car back in 15,000 miles, then can have it with the same warped rotors and sludged oil cause I'm not going back there again.

They did a good job in losing a long time VW owner...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have a little over 15k now and had them changed at the 15k check up. I just told them to check them, and when I came to pick up my car they had been replaced for a total of 0.00 on my bill.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
SeattleReign said:
Ok so you had them replace when you purchased (I assume used?), what about the second time, how many miles did you put on the new OE rotors before they needed replacing? Do you think I have a case here to go to my dealer with even with 30K on them. My main complaint is they didn't even say they needed replacing when they checked them (or did they check them). Any thoughts?
If you are refering to my post my car was brand new and so was my friends Audi.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I had them replaced at around 20K, they initally said that it wasn't covered under warranty but then it was, so i got them replaced. Haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just a thought, but couldn't it be possible that overtightened lug bolts could be responsible for this? Mine were pretty difficult to remove when I (prematurely) swapped out my winter rims a week ago, even though I was careful not to overdo it when I put them on.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Tazmo has the answer to this problem. The lug bolts have to be properly torqued to avoid the warping. 89 ft lbs. Sharky (VW tech extraordinaire) have any comments here?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lug bolts on the brakes might be too tight? If that's the case then they would be responsible since they are the only ones who have touch my breaks. Again, my concern is that they will say that 30K on the original brakes is not unusual and they will not cover that as it's a wear and tear item on the car. Does anyone think that I should be getting more mileage out of my brakes/rotors? I mean I drive a fair amount in my baby (2002 w/30K), Am I just expecting too much from my stock rotors?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replaced mine at 12K. A little battle with the dealer, but they went ahead and replaced them. Proper lug torque is critical, I learned this from owning another vehicle prone to rotor warp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My rortors warped at 3k... Left them alone. Now at 22k the warpage doesn't seem to be too bad. Maybe it was the rears (which I'm in the middle of replacing)....

·
Registered
697 Posts
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

"With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history

- I have never seen a warped brake disc."
By Carroll Smith (Stoptech LLC)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I drive and brake very hard, but no warping yet at 28k on the V6 Variant....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
There was a thread on this at one time. Read the warranty, rotors are actually covered under the bumper to bumper. So on the models with the 4/50000 they are covered that whole time. Brake pads are only covered for 1 year/12000 miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
Guyute
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing