Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to Flush the Fluid, want to use something to get out as much old fluid in the resevior. It has a debris screen, I've tried pulling it out, un-screwing it, etc. I am afreaid I'll break it! My Chilton is no help. Anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump! I'm down till I get an answer, I know a few of you have flushed your brake system yourself. Changing my fuel filter while I wait......

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
You can pry it out. It does not take much force. You can also pump the old fluid out of the caliper until it is low.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
get a pair of needle nose

try to push one side between the res and the screen
when you get it trew just clap down and pull straight up

( watch your eyes break fluid is nasty )

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it....took a lot of twist'n while yanking with the needle nose pliers....

Used a large medicine dropper to get out the excess. Was decent looking considering it was 5yrs and 100k old! (Green) I need rear rotors too, good thing the neighbor owns an Euro Auto Parts store in Newport Beach. Get's me OEM Brembo's at Cost.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've pulled that damn filter a bunch of times. Using either a pair of needle nose pliers or a screwdriver. Lay the screwdriver so its tip is pushing against the inside of that filter thing and the bar of the driver is on the edge of the fill spout opposite where you pushed in the tip. Then, not too hard now, push the screwdriver tip into the inside of the filter cup and pry up. It pops right out.

Also, I second the "watch your eyes" advice. And, if there's fluid in there before you begin, you can remove it by blotting it with paper towels.

Now for my next question. Do we really need that thing? I find it likes to hold fluid and not let it drain back into the resevior. Then that fluid ends up in my engine compartment which I don't like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.