Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car this way. I need help with a lot of things. Most importantly I have the lights on the doors and around stereo (red) as well as the headlights work with the headlight switch. However no running lights. When I press my brake pedal my instrument cluster and my brake lights as well as my front clearance lights (beside headlights)come on. Yes that's right I press the brake and my front lights come on.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I pretty much guarantee that the PO jammed one (or more) incorrect bulbs in the brake/tail lights. Take all four of them out - they should be PY21/4w bulbs (dual-filament, with the pins at a 30* offset, when viewed from the bottom of the bulb.)
Jam either a single-filament bulb, or a 'standard' dual-filament bulb (where the pins are straight across from each other) in there, and it'll short brake to tail, and cause this exact issue.

After you've checked (and, likely, corrected) the bulbs in the rear, check (and, likely, replace) the fuses for the side lights (running lights.)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
2x on everything cuppie wrote--well said!

The right & left parking light fuses, #22 & #23, should both be 5 amps. The brake lights pull more than 5 amps, so these fuses will blow as soon as you turn the lights on if the parking and brake light circuits are shorted together.

The brake light bulb is also known as 7528. It only fits (easily) in the socket one way, but it or another lamp can be jammed the wrong in by any determined "bigger hammer" type.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,407 Posts
I pretty much guarantee that the PO jammed one (or more) incorrect bulbs in the brake/tail lights.
But there's no (common) wiring between the brake and side lights. May be PO somehow has connected the two fuses together.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
But there's no (common) wiring between the brake and side lights. May be PO somehow has connected the two fuses together.
There isn't supposed to be, but the brake light bulb is a dual filament bulb, with a 21 Watt filament for the brake lights and a 5 Watt filament for the tail (parking) lights. The outer shell of the bulb is common to both filaments. There are two contacts on the bottom of the bulb, one for each filament.

The trouble comes when someone jams the bulb in the wrong way or installs the wrong bulb altogether. That usually connects the two bottom socket contacts, thus creating the undesired connection between the parking light and brake light circuits.

The parking light circuits are fused at 5 amps to protect the wire. Each lamp pulls 0.44 amps, so that's fine in the normal configuration. But add the brake light load and the fuse will blow promptly.

The brake light circuit is fused at 10 amps, since each 21 watt filament pulls 1.85 amps (times 4, plus the high-mount light), and the wires are commensurately larger.

·
2,407 Posts
There isn't supposed to be, but the brake light bulb is a dual filament bulb, with a 21 Watt filament for the brake lights and a 5 Watt filament for the tail (parking) lights. The outer shell of the bulb is common to both filaments. There are two contacts on the bottom of the bulb, one for each filament.
What I was trying to say is that there is wiring from the main light switch to brake lights. There is also a separate wiring from the same switch to the head lights and side lights. Unless that these two wires are somehow connected, then how could they both lite when the brake pedal is pushed down? I mean these two should be kind of mutually exclusive. In other words, you can have dead brake lights but still turn on your headlights because their wires are separated.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What I was trying to say is that there is wiring from the main light switch to brake lights. There is also a separate wiring from the same switch to the head lights and side lights. Unless that these two wires are somehow connected, then how could they both lite when the brake pedal is pushed down? I mean these two should be kind of mutually exclusive. In other words, you can have dead brake lights but still turn on your headlights because their wires are separated.
Absolutely correct. BUT! The wrong bulb (e.g. 1156 or 1157), when jammed into the tail/brake socket, can (and will) bridge the contacts for 'tail' and 'brake' together.

·
2,407 Posts
Absolutely correct. BUT! The wrong bulb (e.g. 1156 or 1157), when jammed into the tail/brake socket, can (and will) bridge the contacts for 'tail' and 'brake' together.
No doubt about this one. But the OP says the side lights turn on too. And I was referring to their wiring which are apart from the brake ones.

·
Registered
742 Posts
No doubt about this one. But the OP says the side lights turn on too. And I was referring to their wiring which are apart from the brake ones.
Well, the front side lights (parking lights, running lights) are on the same circuits (same fuses) as the tail lights. So, it makes perfect sense

·
2,407 Posts
Well, the front side lights (parking lights, running lights) are on the same circuits (same fuses) as the tail lights. So, it makes perfect sense
This could explain the bulb twishting theory. But what about the cluster going on
with brake lights?

·
Registered
742 Posts
This could explain the bulb twishting theory. But what about the cluster going on
with brake lights?
Because all of the dash and side light circuits are bridged together in the headlight switch.
Never underestimate the ability of an electron to find some weird alternative path thru a car, especially if a human has bodged something up. ;)

·
2,407 Posts
Because all of the dash and side light circuits are bridged together in the headlight switch.
Never underestimate the ability of an electron to find some weird alternative path thru a car, especially if a human has bodged something up. ;)
I remain curious to see when OP finds the cause of it. It's educational :LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts