Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
B5.5 Passat GLS 1.8T, Stage 3 K04
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B5.5 FWD. I replaced the brake calipers, rotors, and pads all the way around, as well as the lines in the front, when I first got the car almost exactly a year ago. Even with all that, I strongly dislike the feel of the brake pedal. It's not necessarily spongy like it needs bled more, and it stops the car adequately, but it just lacks character or bite. I came from a GD3 Honda Fit with a much lighter curb weight of around 2500 lbs, which may explain most of the issue, but the pedal feel in the VW is just dismal next to so many other cars I've driven. Obviously the car was never designed to be something like a GTI, but I want more. I have my eyes on a set of Brembo 17z calipers and I'll buy a good set of pads and slotted rotors (which I really love on my Honda), but my concern is none of that is really going to change the pedal feel. So I've started reading about master cylinder size to change the pressure in the brake lines with the same pedal travel. Which brings me to my question: does anyone know of a swap (I assume from another VAG car, but I'm willing to branch out) that would change the fluid pressure for a better pedal feel? Or am I wasting my time trying to get a 20 year old luxury sedan perform like a Golf R? All thoughts are welcomed. Thanks!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
Sometimes the pad material makes all the difference.

What kind of pads are you using? Something standard like a Duralast, or something more performance oriented or Euro branded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,593 Posts
I don't know about feel, but mine stops considerably better with MK1 Audi TT caliper carrier brackets (using your stock caliper) and Audi D2 A8 312mm rotors up front.

·
Registered
B5.5 Passat GLS 1.8T, Stage 3 K04
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have also considered the TT bracket upgrade. I wasn't sure how much a difference that would bring though, and I also assumed I wouldn't be as satisfied with them knowing the 17z exist (although they may be out of budget for now).

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Not yet mentioned is the brake booster; if that was marginal it would cause weak brake feel. Perhaps braided stainless steel brake hoses would help too.

But I go with the crowd here - try different pads. I once had a set of Mintex pads on my B5 A4 that had such weak friction that I threw them away. Pagid brand pads have worked fine for me, but currently I have Bosch Quietcast pads all around on my 3.0 A4, and have all the stopping force I need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts