Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 B5.5 with just under 25K on it. Today, when the tires were being rotated I checked the pads. The front looked about 7/8 the rears 1/2 thickness or less. I would like to drop in a set of pads (front and rear) in the hopes of getting as many miles as possible out of the stock rotors. I realize that they are disposable when worn. If I am going to do this, and have the best luck, which pad should I go with: stock, Mintex, etc.??
Low dust would be nice, but cleaner wheels are not a huge deal to me.
Thanks very much (in advance) for your reples,
Andrew
Austin, TX

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You should be able to get more life out of the pads you have on now. I replaced the rears on my car with almost nothing left and used the stock rotors becuase they weren't scored or out of spec. The more aggressive pad you put on the shorter the life of the rotors, so if rotor life is what you want go with stock, but if you want some better braking performance, or less dust go with something else. The axxis metal masters will be less dust and more performance, but harsher on the rotors. I know other people recommend many pads for less dust. I chose the axxis ultimates, but they have just as much dust as stock and are really harsh on the rotors. I have not noticed any rotors scoring yet after 1000 or so miles, and the performance is so much better than stock, i would recommend them to anyone. but not best for rotor life

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
aamsel said:
I have a 2002 B5.5 with just under 25K on it. Today, when the tires were being rotated I checked the pads. The front looked about 7/8 the rears 1/2 thickness or less. I would like to drop in a set of pads (front and rear) in the hopes of getting as many miles as possible out of the stock rotors. I realize that they are disposable when worn. If I am going to do this, and have the best luck, which pad should I go with: stock, Mintex, etc.??
Andrew
Austin, TX
I've had pretty bad experiences with Mintex Redbox pads. I am using Axxis Ultimates as well, but these are race-quality brakepads. Now for just the average-Joe driver who wants a quality dustless pad, I would highly recommend Axxis Deluxe Plus or Axxis Metal Masters. Both are low dust and perform significantly better in cold braking than the Mintex Redboxes. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice!! Can you tell me:
1.) The difference between the Deluxe Plus and the Metal Masters? What would I want for everyday city driving? I do have a chipped B5.5, but I don't do it justice at all, in fact I pretty much drive like a wimp.
I am in the "heart of Texas" if heat makes a difference.
2.) Where do you order these pads from? I went to: http://www.axxispads.com/ but the site is apparently being redone, and there are no VW listings.
Thanks!
Andrew
Austin, TX

The Swami said:
aamsel said:
Andrew
Austin, TX
I've had pretty bad experiences with Mintex Redbox pads. I am using Axxis Ultimates as well, but these are race-quality brakepads. Now for just the average-Joe driver who wants a quality dustless pad, I would highly recommend Axxis Deluxe Plus or Axxis Metal Masters. Both are low dust and perform significantly better in cold braking than the Mintex Redboxes. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
aamsel
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing