Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Brake pad warning light

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  VAGguy 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been searching the forum for a while now but cannot find a definative answer to my question.

I have a 2001 1.8t sport

The brake pad warning light comes on when it rains and my pads are fine. This also happens when I run low on washer fluid.

???? really confused :poke: :banghead: :confused:

#5 ·
Yeah its a bit weird. where is the sensor location? perhaps I need to replace it?
The sensor is normally embedded in the rear(i think) pads. It is a small metal disk which is set into the pad so that when the pad wears to the set thickness the disk contacts with the brake disk causing a circuit to form which activates the warning. If you have checked the pads and they are fine it might be worth checking that there is not some link between the two warnings (brakes/washer fluid) in a wiring diagram. Not sure if this helps but I can not recall seeing this problem mentioned.

#7 ·
Brake wear sensors are in the front brakes, I don't think there are any on the rears.

Take off a front wheel (or turn it full lock) and check the wires from the sensor to the pad are connected.

If you regularly check your pads yourself you can cut the wires from the pad and either loop a bit of wire from one car-side sensor pin to the other and illiminate the sensor alltogether.

#8 ·
that is one solution i suppose but I would feel uncomfortable selling it to someone else with no sensor. I like to be honest when cars are concerned.
I'm hoping to sell it soon but want to sort out all the little niggles first.

Thanks for everyones ideas though :thumbup:

#10 ·
linking the wires together most of the time will not work,

better if you use vagcom-vcds
go into
17, instruments,
07, recode,
then write down the existing coding number for future reference, it is shown on the top half of the screen & will read something like "23412"
the first 2 digits will need changing to disable the pad warning lamp in the cluster,

change the code by subtracting 1 from the first 2 digits, in this example, 23412 would need to be changed to 22412
then click "do it"
the pad warning light in the instrument cluster should now be disabled

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.