Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to hear how all of you like your aftermarket pads. My pads are done and the stealership wants to charge me $200 for just rear pads w/ labor. I'd just like to hear about things like the life and dust of your pads, and if they work with the sensor or not. It would also help to hear where you got them.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I switched to Mintex Red Box a couple years ago and the change was dramatic. Much less dust, and its Tan in color. And they work better. Probably better options now, but I've been very pleased.

And you really should look into doing it yourself. It's very easy, minimal tools needed (can borrow from Autozone) and once you've done one wheel, the others fly by. Can always find a closeby member to help you too.....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Axxis MetalMaster.
Easy Job.
I thought my brakes were a little aggressive initial bite with OE and the compound in the MM has eliminated that tendency.
Dust is almost gone or at least invisible.
I would not use anything else.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
PBR/Axxis Ultimates: Excellent initial bite and very difficult to fade. The pads produce brakedust but it's a little less than the factory Jurid's which initially came on my W8. PBR/Axxis pads have brake-wear sensors which are an added plus for the 4 pad per caliper setup on the W8. I'm at about 12,000 miles on my initial set with lots of pad life left... :thumbup:

I purchased my pads from Zeckhausen Racing, IMHO the best source for all PBR/Axxis brakepads!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i second the axxis ultimates

great pad, very good initial bite, good petal feel, i havn't been able to fad them, but i never faded my stock pads so.

in my oppinion they are a little bit more dusty than OEM, but that could be contributed to my braking style change after i got these pads, its just so much more fun to push the petal now :p

i got mine from parts411.com, the only place i could find that had the pads, i didn't kow that Zeckhausen sold them. from everything i hear Zeckhausen and the people that work for the company are first rate, i would buy from there next time, however i had no problems and liked parts411 alot. i just know that the people at Zeckhausen have helped Cb5 and its members a lot so i would go there.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Here is a website with all the info comparing Deluxe Plus, Metal Master, and Ultimates: http://zeckhausen.com/axxis_pads.htm#Compare

I recomend buying from Zeckhausen. THis is where I got my Axxis Deluz Plus pads from. If you aren't looking for a large performance improvement over stock, I'd say go for the Deluxe Plus. If performance is your key, go for one of the other pads.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There another thread in here (wheel forum I think) where Zeck pooh poohs the Metal Masters....Old (15 yr) tech. He mentions two others that are much better and one being much less dust........

·
Registered
234 Posts
JETninja said:
There another thread in here (wheel forum I think) where Zeck pooh poohs the Metal Masters....Old (15 yr) tech. He mentions two others that are much better and one being much less dust........
It's true about old tech....I was using MM's 15 yrs ago.
I have slotted rotors and was expecting alot of dust because of them. My wheels are the cleanest part on my car :lol: .
They are perfect for my purposes.
There are lots of choices.
I have experience with them and like their characteristics.
They are the lowest dust pad I've ever used.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
slimebucket said:
www.ecstuning.com

get the PBR Ceramic pads, less dust better bite, and hell less dust!

Did I mention better bite?

Rich :wink:
Remember PBR & Axxis are the same company and the only ceramic compound pads they have available are the Ultimates. The Ultimates use a ceramic/kevlar compound which will leave a little less dust than OEM Jurid or Pagid pads used by Volkswagen/Audi. PBR brand pads don't include the front brake sensor wires which are found on some of our Passats. The Axxis bransd pads which are the same pad and compound have the sensor wires.

:D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
dkosto99 said:
JETninja said:
It's true about old tech....I was using MM's 15 yrs ago.
I have slotted rotors and was expecting alot of dust because of them. My wheels are the cleanest part on my car :lol: .
They are perfect for my purposes.
There are lots of choices.
I have experience with them and like their characteristics.
They are the lowest dust pad I've ever used.

Hope this helps.
Have you tried the Deluxe Plus pads? According to Zeck, they are even cleaner and better performance.

And let me put is this way...would you drive on 15 year old Tire Tech? :D A 15yr old PC? :shock:

LOL!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm very happy with my Carobtech bobcats.. Low dust, pretty quiet and they grip great.
I've got almost 30k miles on the fronts, and only halfway through the pad. Even after a track day at Buttonwillow, they held up just fine.

To bypass the brake sensor, simply cut sensors from some old pads, short the two wires together, then plug them into the car.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks like I will be getting either the axxis ultimates or deluxes. I'm still not sure which. Rotor life is important to me, and I've never tracked my car so I guess I am leaning toward the deluxes. Anybody else w/ either of those two pads want to respond?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
wst - do the labor yourself and save some $. You need a caliper retraction tool from AutoZone (they rent it for a deposit, and give the whole deposit back).

Our cars have front sensors only. IIRC, you can trick the sensors into thinking all is well if you decide to install sensor-less pads (jumper wire).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.