Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan on getting new pads from ECS Tuning and am looking at either the Hawk or PBR.

Do any of you have any experience with these two pads and if so, what are the ups and downs of either?

ECS's Brakes for the B5

*EDIT for link*

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Uh, that's a link to the Ulitmate Belly Pan kit...

Anyway, I have the Hawk HP+ (track) and love them. Gabe has the HPS (Street) on his TransAm and is very happy with them. Ken Rabbers (vw20v18t) also had the HPS and liked them The HP+ are semi-track pads and are very noisy for street driving, and have black dust, but are fairly easy on the rotors and the dust isn't any worse than Mintex, just darker. Far superior grab and heat-resistance than Mintex - but with my sticky tires I still need brake cooling ducts for track days.

I was going to try the PBR/Axxis ultimates just to see for myself how they do...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Rusty said:
Uh, that's a link to the Ulitmate Belly Pan kit...

Anyway, I have the Hawk HP+ (track) and love them. Gabe has the HPS (Street) on his TransAm and is very happy with them. Ken Rabbers (vw20v18t) also had the HPS and liked them The HP+ are semi-track pads and are very noisy for street driving, and have black dust, but are fairly easy on the rotors and the dust isn't any worse than Mintex, just darker.

I was going to try the PBR/Axxis ultimates just to see for myself how they do...
I have the ultimates up front and MM's on rears for increased pad life. I don't regret getting them, fade is almost non existant. There is about the same amount of dust as stock, but I don't really care. I would buy them again in an instant.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think this really depends on what you're planning to do. For limited time I've played with PBR Ultimate and Hawk HPS pads, they are both superior pads compared to the OEM pads in all performance category. However, they both will dust more than the OEM.

The PBR Ultimate pads give very grippy initial bite, even more so than the Hawk HPS pads, but does fade little easier than the Hawk HPS pads under repeated hard stops.

The Hawk HPS pads grip very well, the inital bite isn't as grippy as PBr Ultimate, but it has very steady grip all the way to stop. The Hawk HPS pads also seem to handle stress little better than the PBR Ultimate and will fade less in track condition.

I really like both pads for street use. They are so much better than the OEM pads, but does have different gripping characteristic from each other.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys. I do track days several times a year and some spirited driving, so good braking is a priority for me. Whether or not they have better initial bite or better all the way to stop is a tough one though. Since I will have a little one in the car, I think I will go for the initial bite in case some nut pulls out in front of me. That and the smaller price tag are pushing me towards PBRs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I got the axxis ultimates and love them.

great initial bite, great grip, they are just as dusty, IMHO as stock, but a blacker color

also, remember its not the pads you have to worry about for stopping distances, you should have been able to lock the wheels up with stock pads, so once the wheels lock up, locking them up faster wont decrese stopping distances by anything significant

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
I got the axxis ultimates and love them.

great initial bite, great grip, they are just as dusty, IMHO as stock, but a blacker color

also, remember its not the pads you have to worry about for stopping distances, you should have been able to lock the wheels up with stock pads, so once the wheels lock up, locking them up faster wont decrese stopping distances by anything significant
True, tire composition is the single biggest contributor towards stopping distances, brake upgrades are usually to decrease brake fade (soft pedal feel after heavy braking).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep but I have worn out Mintex Red Box pads now, so stopping at all is an issue.

They are very low on dust, but not so hot for stopping.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Honestly, I recommend the PBR/Axxis pads! Hawk HPS compound pads are great but they don't include front wear sensor cables like the Axxis pads.

I'm currently running the Axxis Ultimates (Ceramic/Kevlar compound) on my W8 and they are the best pads I've used to date on my Passats. Much better than the EBC Greenstuff compound during cold braking. The Ultimates aren't a dustless pad, so if you are looking for something along those lines check out their Deluxe Plus or Metal Master pads.

Guys, if Import Replacement Parts runs out again don't forget that Stoptech also sells pads!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Swami. I am going with the PMR pads. I'm not as concerned about dust since I wash my car pretty regularly...still not enought o be clean all of the time, but that's the way it goes.

I can't wait to get them on.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
well i got the hawks and i don'T know how they are gonna be, ill have to see :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
2.0GTI
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing