Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious question first: Does anyone have a box from a set of Mintex Red Box front pads? What does it say on the back? I have a set that has been sitting around for a good 6 months and I looked at them and they are marked "Vauxhall Astra OEM". This causes me to think they might be the wrong ones. :nervous:

Now the closet ricer part. I got a pair of Ate (ah-tay for those who didn't know :nose in air: ) Powerslots for the fronts to try and address the wet braking issue with the 17" wheels. Since the slots sweep the entire pad face and then some, they should function really well. I was hoping ECS would have some Ralley Slots floating around, but at least they were kind enough to send me what I wanted instead of what I ordered. :oops: :thumbup:

I painted them up last night. In white and blue. White edges and centers with blue slots. I will post a pic when I get them on the car, hopefully this weekend. They look crazy. I have to look into getting rears to match. OMG I am such a dork! :weirdo: :weirdo: :weirdo:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I have Red box for 4Mo Rear brakes, it says:
Peugeot 405 Range from 87 -
VAG Group Various models from 88 -

Model is MDB 1377

If you have now bigger diameter of brake discs put splash shields from W8, they are direct bolt on, on Passat. I put them behind my 320x28 Brembos. W8 have 323mm and also one smaller size.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
atomicalex said:
I got a pair of Ate (ah-tay for those who didn't know :nose in air: )
Filipinos use "Ate" is a sign of respect for their older female family members and close friends. We say "Ate" then the name of the person. For example we would call you Ate Alex. :lol:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
atomicalex said:
Who you callin' old? :mad: :wink: :lol:
BWAHAHAHA! My sister was "born" one minute before me (I use the term born loosely because it was a c-section and the doctor could've grabbed either one of us first). My parents still insisted on me calling her Ate...

Sorry for the hijack :)

/karl

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
atomicalex said:
I painted them up last night. In white and blue. White edges and centers with blue slots. I will post a pic when I get them on the car, hopefully this weekend.
AA, could you post a close-up pic or two of the calipers now (still off the car)? BTW, what paint & application technique do you use?

·
Registered
25,993 Posts
hoypinoy1234 said:
atomicalex said:
I got a pair of Ate (ah-tay for those who didn't know :nose in air: )
Filipinos use "Ate" is a sign of respect for their older female family members and close friends. We say "Ate" then the name of the person. For example we would call you Ate Alex. :lol:
Yup, and the Hawaians use Uncle and Auntie.

·
Registered
441 Posts
atomicalex said:
Serious question first: Does anyone have a box from a set of Mintex Red Box front pads? What does it say on the back? I have a set that has been sitting around for a good 6 months and I looked at them and they are marked "Vauxhall Astra OEM". This causes me to think they might be the wrong ones. :nervous:
Alex,
Did you ever find out whether these are the correct pads? I'm in the same situation, purchased my pads from German autoparts, and left them sitting for almost a year now only to realise the "Vauxhall" marking.. :nervous: Please let me know what you find! Thanks

Oh, and you've gotta post pics of those painted artwork! :wink:

Mike :)

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CJ - I searched the Mintex website to no avail. Then I Googled the part number - MDB1741AF and came up with ABD MetalMasters for the Passat.

So either we have the wrong pads or we have the very very very right pads and I got a bargain on them. Either way, these appear to be the right pads for my car and I am not complaining. I will be starting the brake job today some time (I think) so I will update you on the progress. I will be done by tomorrow night.

To paint the rotors, I masked off the friction surfaces with masking tape and sprayed them white - took a couple of coats. When that dried to a decent finish, I peeled the masking and used a small brush to paint the blue in the slots. I did two coats. I sprayed the blue paint into a plastic cup (it kind of melted it a bit) and dipped in and went for it. There is a bit of over-paint, but it will wear off on my first bedding run, I am sure. Pics by tomorrow night. :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Serious question first: Does anyone have a box from a set of Mintex Red Box front pads? What does it say on the back? I have a set that has been sitting around for a good 6 months and I looked at them and they are marked "Vauxhall Astra OEM". This causes me to think they might be the wrong ones.
I'll have a look tomorrow. My box is in the garbage bin...I think it said Audi A8 or something...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Kathy, you got the right pads. I ordered mine from bimmerparts.com and had a similar "huh?" moment when I read the box. I pulled the fronts off the car (also redboxes) and compared them one on top of the other and they were spot on. I didn't remember the former set having the nifty taper to the sides of the inner pads, but they bedded in nicely and have been serving in solid silence for a month.

As for the rice, you're forgiven. You've already demonstrated a fondness for brake rotors and paint... it's just your art!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
atomicalex
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing