Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
the deal finder!
Joined
·
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i did the 5 brake light mod, per the information forum. ended up giving me 7 lights ( bottom 2 bulbs on each side and regular), and changed out 22 & 23 to larger fuses. well, i checked today, and i had no brake lights :nervous: the car didn't give any warnings that the brake lights are out.

turns out fuse 13 (red - 10A) was blown. i removed the mod, and changed the fuse and everything is ok now. just a heads up.
 

·
the deal finder!
Joined
·
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and for some reason, the backup lights (the two inner bottom lights) would also go on when it worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
I've had this mod for over a year now, no issues at all. I also upped the fuse when I did the install.

Hope everything works out - it really looks good. Especially, with tinted tails. More brake lights for the folks behind ya.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
This isn't the same as the third brake mod is it? I'm getting ready to do that one. I think!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,274 Posts
You mean from this thread?

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48678

Sorry, somehow the pics are down in that thread. Here they are again -- the top pic is the driver's side holder, the bottom pic is the passenger's side holder.





And I do mention having to change the fuses at the bottom of my thread...

Andy
 

·
the deal finder!
Joined
·
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AJChenMPH said:
You mean from this thread?

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48678

Sorry, somehow the pics are down in that thread. Here they are again -- the top pic is the driver's side holder, the bottom pic is the passenger's side holder.





And I do mention having to change the fuses at the bottom of my thread...

Andy
well, for the driver's side i did the top right with the lower right one, and for the passenger's side, i jumpered the top two and connected it to the bottom right. and i changed the fuse 22 & 23 to 10A, but the one that blew was fuse 13.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,274 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
well, for the driver's side i did the top right with the lower right one, and for the passenger's side, i jumpered the top two and connected it to the bottom right. and i changed the fuse 22 & 23 to 10A, but the one that blew was fuse 13.
Sounds like you did the driver's side all right, but you don't need to connect the passenger's side's top two to the bottom right. Maybe that's why fuse 13 blew, though I have no idea what fuse 13 does off the top of my head.

Andy
 

·
the deal finder!
Joined
·
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AJChenMPH said:
D.Passat00 said:
well, for the driver's side i did the top right with the lower right one, and for the passenger's side, i jumpered the top two and connected it to the bottom right. and i changed the fuse 22 & 23 to 10A, but the one that blew was fuse 13.
Sounds like you did the driver's side all right, but you don't need to connect the passenger's side's top two to the bottom right. Maybe that's why fuse 13 blew, though I have no idea what fuse 13 does off the top of my head.

Andy
:oops: ok, i'll just try to jumper the passenger side top two and not connect it to the bottom one.

and fuse 13 is the brake fuse. with that puppy blown, i had no brake lights :nervous:

anyway, thanks for your help! i'll upgrade fuses 22 & 23 as well as 13 just to be safe. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
where are the instructions for the 5 break light mod anyway? My buddy just did it for his jetta ( is it the same?)

also, whats up with the rear fog when you do this? does it still work like it should?

you guys rule

Joshman
 

·
the deal finder!
Joined
·
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, i followed the instructions, and it worked. i fell like a real idiot :oops:

but i think the brake lights are connected to fuse 13, not 22 & 23. anyway, i upgraded all three to double their size. is that gonna cause a problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
diodes

When you have one (driver side) fog light already installed, and you add this mod, does the 2nd diode go in the middle of the 4 inch added wire lead? Per Boris's diagram the 1st diode goes between the fog light and new brake light connection. Just not clear on where the 2nd diode goes. TIA.

-Mike-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,274 Posts
josh-man said:
where are the instructions for the 5 break light mod anyway?
From further up:

AJChenMPH said:
egeek -- 1st diode goes on the 4 inch wire between fog light and the regular brake light, 2nd diode goes between the fog light and the Euroswitch. The fog light is what's being used for both fog light duty and extra brake light duty, so the diodes prevent the current from "backing up" the wrong wire. Don't know how else to explain it...

Andy
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top