Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hit the 26k mark on my passat.....any idea what the average life of rotors/pads is? Sometimes I get a SLIGHT vibration when braking....some times I notice it, sometimes I dont.

Ive been tempted to just buy new rotors/pads and install them...any thoughts? Should I wait longer?

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
How much "friction" material is left?

Generally speaking, if you have 2mm of friction material (not including the backing plate), then it's time to replace.

Rotors allow for only 2mm of total thickeness LOSS before replacement.

If you've got good pad and rotor life (at 26K, I'd expect it to), could be one of two things:

1) warped rotor.
2) slider pins need to be cleaned up and lubricated.

Warped rotors:you should try and find a dial indicator and measure no more than .005" variance. Anything larger and you will likely feel it.

The slider pins are the 7mm hex bolts you see from the back side of the brakes (2 per front caliper); they're coverd by some plastic covers but it's easy to find. Pop the round covers and stick a 7mm allen wrench back there and remove one of them. Clean it off with Brake-Kleen, use some grease to lube it, then bolt it back in. Don't over torque; only need about 10 ft-lbs. or so (don't recall of the top of my head); I used LocTite blue to ensure it would not come off. Repeat this for the other 3 up front.

HTH.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The rule of thumb that I use is if the pad material left is thinner than the metal backing plate, then you need to replace them.

Hasn't failed me so far. :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
on my 1.8T 2001B5, I still have the original front pads and rotors and slowly coming up to 70K soon. the rear pads I have replaced once. and I drive a tiptronic using brakes before heavy tip shifting to slow down.

26K warped rotor sounds like a bummer, but the more wear the rotor gets the more you will feel a variation in the warp. somehow the rear pads since smaller they wear faster...or maybe they made them work more to reduce nose dive ??...not sure

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brake Life (2)

Interesting notes on brake life. I've got a 2002 V6 Passat with 22,000 miles. It just ate the rear rotors. Heard a noise while braking on Sunday. Since new, I'd been monitoring the FRONT pad life, not the back. Has anyone heard that VW's brake with the back brakes first????
This is what two different dealers told me. This concept goes against all logic (in my opinion of course). How can the back brakes wear twice as fast as the fronts? All other cars I own use the front brakes (I don't think I was born yesterday!). At any rate has anyone heard of this on fwd VW's? I'll replace the rotors and pads myself... I'd originally brought it to the dealer thinking I had sticking calipers.....

·
Registered
872 Posts
From what I learned on a previous thread, our cars bias braking to the rear during light braking to counteract nosedive. My right rear inside pad went at 80k, scoring my rotor in the process. I replaced everything although the fronts were still good. The left rear pads were almost nearly gone, but all the rotors were decent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was just a bit of a shock to me at 22k. Your 80k would've been more expected. All along I thought the anti-dive was caused by the chassis dynamics. Makes sense to me though. I guess I'll watch the rears more closely.

Also, do only the fronts have wear sensors? My 3 series (and my 944) all have 4 wheel pad sensors...

·
Registered
350 Posts
On my 98, I did pads all around at 50k as well as the front rotors.
Now at 92k its time for pads and rotors all around.
I have no complaints! 92k out of rear rotors!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts