Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks if you plan on using an aggressive pad like Porterfields, Cobalt Friction, EBC Green Compound, PBR/Axxis or even Mintex pads be sure to bed in your pads correctly. To many DIYers use the old-school method of wearing in pads without bedding them, which is one of the primary causes of uneven pad wear and rotor warping. This is why so many VW/Audi dealerships have problems with Pagid Blacks after they are installed on new rotors. The pads are very difficult to bed-in and mechanics will instruct drivers to take it easy on the brakes, while they break-in.

There's been quite a few posts on ClubB5 as of late from folks asking about brakepads and installation techniques. I can't stress enough how important it is to BED IN THOSE PADS AFTER INSTALLATION. I don't want to see people complaining a few months down the line that their pads are squealing like a Prom-Night Virgin or when braking from 70MPH the car is shaking like Beyonce Knowles. :shock:

If you guys can chime in about your experiences installing brakes or have tips which aren't included in the Information Section of ClubB5, I'm sure the masses will appreciate it.

Here's a good site which explains how to bed in your brakes!
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Peace and blessings,

Swami

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
im assuming that this tread was because i haven't listened, but after i get back from virginai (moms car) i will bed correctly, thanx for your help, i plan on doing a W8 front rotor write up because there isn't one yet, look for that next week with some pics

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Beautiful... that's the page that I've used for a reference for bedding in the past, and it works great... stock, Mintex or Pagid (from my experience). Just look for the fade to happen during the last couple of '60 to 10' runs if your using Mintex.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
The Swami said:
I don't want to see people complaining a few months down the line that their pads are squealing like a Prom-Night Virgin or when braking from 70MPH the car is shaking like Beyonce Knowles. :shock:
OMG, Will -- you're killing me. :lol:

Yep, here's another vote for proper bedding-in of the pads...

Andy

·
Registered
418 Posts
Uh oh, I don't know where I read it but when I bedded mine I just did stop from 30mph to almost stopped about 10 times. Is it too late to do this more aggressive method? It's been about 3 weeks since I put the new rotors and pads on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts