Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to buy the Brake fluid and Power Steering fluid from Volkswagen or would I be okay buying them from a place like Autozone? If so, what kind of Power Steering Fluid and Brake fluid do you guys recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have no idea about the power steering fluid. I am fairly sure that the transmission fluid, and coolant are the only things that must be bought from VW. I wouldn't use anything except Dot 4 for brake fluid. You may want to look into ATE, from what I've heard, it is among the best out there.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i just ordered ate type 200 fluid. as long as it meets DOT 4 approval your golden. I choose this fluid cause its color is like the stock color so the vw tech doesn't sh#t a brick when he see's blue fluid in the brake lines/resevoir. not sure about power steering though.

on my car atleast, all the cap for the resevoir says i only put in DOT 4 aproved fluid, it doesn't eevn say only VW fluid, so that reassured my theory, and everything else i have heard from people at clubb5

·
Registered
91 Posts
PapaPrem said:
Do I have to buy the Brake fluid and Power Steering fluid from Volkswagen or would I be okay buying them from a place like Autozone? If so, what kind of Power Steering Fluid and Brake fluid do you guys recommend? Thanks!
As far as PS fluid is concerned, you need CHF 11S Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid. This is the ONLY fluid you can use with the VW PS pump. Failure to use it will result in noise and eventually damage to your PS pump. You can't get it at Autozone or any other place, so you have to go to the dealer or get it online.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
How do you plan to change your power steering fluid? I sucked it out of the reserve container and refilled with new, but that wasn't much. I could do that a few more times over the next month, but don't know how much the fluid turns over.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
PapaPrem, for brake fluid as long as you buy something that meets DOT4 specification then you are good to go. Castrol LMA meets DOT4 specification and is an excellent replacement for the VW.

Now as far as PowerSteering Fluid goes, wxman5 hit the nail on the head. Only VW/Aud# G002000 spec fluid should be used in the car. Pentosin CHF 11S is the only non-dealership packaged fluid I could find.

You can buy both of these fluids online from Adirondak Auto Parts aka GermanAutoParts.com or Autobahnfluids.com

Good luck..

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the help. I appreciate it! Do you have to change the power steering fluid or can you just add to it as it gets less?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, it's some german name I can't remember. Anyway, it comes in a green can, and it's the only stuff you can put in it(it's a mineral oil, I think) Power steering pumps arent cheap :eek:h:

I got mine from ecstuning.com

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
blaupassat said:
Yeah, it's some german name I can't remember. Anyway, it comes in a green can, and it's the only stuff you can put in it(it's a mineral oil, I think) Power steering pumps arent cheap :eek:h:

I got mine from ecstuning.com
Your PS Fluid should be hydrolic oil, as it is driven off of a hydrolic pump. I have never heard of mineral oil as PS fluid :roll:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Mineral, as in non-synthetic. Right on the PS reservoir it says "use only mineral hydraulic fluid."

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If you are doing a PS fluid change you can get the majority of the fluid out of the resevior with a baster. Then get the front end off the ground and turn the wheel lock to lock and this will send the fluid in the rack and lines into the resevior. Then suck that out with a baster.

The system holds about a liter when empty. Fill res., start car and keep an eye on the level. You will hear it gurgilling and whining, but it will go away when all the air gets worked out of the lines.

The fluid that VW uses is mineral hydraulic fluid. Use of something other then that will cause the seals to swell in the rack. This will cause the steering wheel to not want to return to center when release after a turn. Other problems will arise, but this is the only one that I have experience with.

Use the VW PS fluid!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Thanks for the directions on changing it! So how often should this be done. I am at 68,000 miles.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It is most definately mineral fluid not hydraulic fluid. Not sure what the difference is though. That 11S stuff is pretty pricey like $15 for a pint.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
LIVE4SPD said:
It is most definately mineral fluid not hydraulic fluid. Not sure what the difference is though. That 11S stuff is pretty pricey like $15 for a pint.
Trust me you will be sorry if you use something else. You should only need one of the larger bottles, I think it is one liter. That is all I needed.

IIRC VW or bentley says this is a lifetime fluid and doesn't list service intervals. Personally I don't think any fluid is a lifetime fluid so just change it when you think it needs it. That is the only advise I can give, if other don't agree with me then I apologize.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
There is plenty of info about this on this forum. Start with the Information Base forum...

·
Registered
1 Posts
use only the VW/Audi spec power steering fluid

This is an old thread but I have an old Passat. I found out the hard way. Do not use ATF or ps fluid off the shelf at auto supplies. I had to replace the steering rack due to using the wrong fluid. Changing the rack was tough. It took me 6 hours to get it out and 8 to put it back in. I had to make some tools to tighten the line fittings in. The correct fluid, while expensive, is cheap and easy compared to replacing the rack, or the pump.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
This is an old thread but I have an old Passat. I found out the hard way. Do not use ATF or ps fluid off the shelf at auto supplies. I had to replace the steering rack due to using the wrong fluid. Changing the rack was tough. It took me 6 hours to get it out and 8 to put it back in. I had to make some tools to tighten the line fittings in. The correct fluid, while expensive, is cheap and easy compared to replacing the rack, or the pump.
Mind telling us exactly what you used? I was just chatting with a guy who was adamant about his intention to use the Lucas PS fluid his got at his local parts store. His logic was, it's a lot cheaper, says "for any car" right on the bottle, and he couldn't find anyone who'd damaged his Passat with that particular brand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts