Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 PASSAT GLX just had 20,000 miles on it and I took it to the dealer for 20,000 miles maintenance. The dealer recommended me to change the brake fluid as well saying it is recommended for all VW cars even though VW recommends it for 40,000 miles. I almost let him do it without asking the price.

The price is $384 for brake fluid change. I didn't do it at the end. But is it necessary to change brake fluid now? And is the price reasonable?

Another questions is that they said front and rear brakes 13MM remaining, recommend to replace at 7MM, when should I replace the brake pads?

Thanks a lot!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the fluid should be changed every two years. #384 for a fluid change? that's a ripoff. the fluid costs $12/liter, and you can change it with one liter. it takes about 15 minutes to do.

if the minimum thickness on the pads is 7mm, then change it at 7mm. the front pads have a sensor on them, so it's easy to tell when to replace those.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why the user manual doesn't mention this for 20,000 miles maintenance? Is there anything else not mentioned either?

What is the normal price for a brake fluid change?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 99 Passat and the first brake fliud change is free. You have to get it done
within the first 2 years and maybe less than 24k miles. I dont know if they still have this free first brake fliud change. Check your manual.

Tom

I had mine done at 30k and got charged for it. I was pissed that I did not get it done when it was free!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Clarification: 7mm pad INCLUDES measuring the backing plate. The backing plate itself is 5mm so what you should see is about 2mm thickness of actual friction material. Be sure you understand this because I can see where a VW mechanic will go with the 7mm and replace the pads immed. even though there seems to be a good 5mm of friction material! Not saying they'll intentinoally rip off a consumer but having that information makes you a better consumer. :)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
my manual, and everything i have read says change brake fluid every 2 years regardless of milage. i dont think millage has anything really to do with the brake fluid, it does not break down, it is hydrophillic and will pick up water, so two years its time to change it.

i got the motive power bleeder for $50 and two quarts, only needed one, for $11 a piece, i used ATE type 200, a better fluid than OEM and did it in an hour tops because i was taking my time, doing it myself and this was the first time i had flushed brake fluid in any car. I also had a problem jacking my car up, after the shocks settled i cant get my hydrolic floor jack under my car, so i was playing around with driving on wood planks to get the car up, so it was easily 20-30 min of messing around time in there.

really easy job, DIY, dont pay $300 thats a rip

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
my motive leaked at the pressure gauge :( but it is a DIY job.

jeffsu350: you can use the jack for the spare tire to get it high enough, and then use the floor jack. the other option is to buy a race jack, which will work on cars with large drops.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
my motive leaked at the pressure gauge :( but it is a DIY job.

jeffsu350: you can use the jack for the spare tire to get it high enough, and then use the floor jack. the other option is to buy a race jack, which will work on cars with large drops.
thats actually a great idea, i will try that next time, thanx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.