Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is one for all the "experts" out there. On my 2000 1.8T I have more brake dust buildup on my rear rims than my front ones. This seems a little odd to me as all my other cars had more on the front rims. What could it be a symptom of? Should I be doing anything about it? (besides cleaning the rims of course :lol: )

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
What other cars do you drive? Any of them RWD?

Since your car is a FWD a larger percentage of the braking goes to the rear. To put it simply all the light braking goes to the rear and the heavy braking uses the front more. So for normal day to day driving the rears SHOULD have more brake dust than the fronts. You arent doing anything wrong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, My wifes camry is FWD and it has more dust on the front than the rear, my last car was FWD and it also had more on the front. I guess each car is different. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I think our passats favor the rear brakes to help reduce understeer and nose dive, you will find that the rear brakes on our cars wear out about twice as fast as the front.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
you could reduce the brake dust by using a different brake pad, but with a lot of light braking, more dust on the rear rims are normal

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
JamesBondage said:
This is very normal for Passats. Like Treads said, the rear brakes go way before the fronts.
Which begs the question...have you ever just changed out your rear rotors/pads, and left your fronts alone?:poke:

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Wow...well i think my car is like...backwards or something. because i have to clean my front rims maybe once or twice a week versus once or twice every two weeks for the rears:crazy:

But i agree with D, change out the brake pads:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
PanaSSat24 said:
Wow...well i think my car is like...backwards or something. because i have to clean my front rims maybe once or twice a week versus once or twice every two weeks for the rears:crazy:

But i agree with D, change out the brake pads:thumbup:
Your driving habits will affect this. I too have much more dust on the fronts than the rears, but I drive mostly highway, so I do very little light braking from slower speeds, and much more so from highway speeds thus engaging the front brakes more often.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
NoneRock said:
evn after changing my rear pads, the brake dust builds up twice as fast as the front.
I used PBR Deluxe pads when I did the rear brakes - afterward there was a tremendous reduction in brake dust. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
swcrow17 said:
Which begs the question...have you ever just changed out your rear rotors/pads, and left your fronts alone?:poke:
Just did that a couple of months ago. On the 3rd set of pads and 2nd set of rotors on the rear at 62K miles. Still original on the front and will probably go another 20K to 30K miles at least. Mostly city driving with light braking, which eats up the rears. Also, doesn't help that the rears are smaller IIRC.

Went with ATE rotors and PBR Deluxe pads for the rears ( total $78 shipped) from getcoolparts.com. My INDY installed them for $89.95. I flushed the brake fluid myself with my power bleeder. I am extremely happy with the brakes now, and yes they do dust less than the OEM pads!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
OK, I too have a tremendous amount of brake dust on my front rims...My Passat is the worst car I've ever owned in regards to brake dust accumulation. The pads are still in good shape. I plan to go to slotted rotors when they need to be changed which should help a bit so where is the best place to get them and are PBR Deluxe the best pads to help reduce the dust ?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
JEB23 said:
OK, I too have a tremendous amount of brake dust on my front rims...My Passat is the worst car I've ever owned in regards to brake dust accumulation. The pads are still in good shape. I plan to go to slotted rotors when they need to be changed which should help a bit so where is the best place to get them and are PBR Deluxe the best pads to help reduce the dust ?
Just curious... why do you think slotted rotors will decrease brake dust? I am not saying they won't, but I can't figure out why.

And yes, the stock Pagid's stop fairly decent and are quiet, but dust like crazy.

SirWired

1 - 15 of 15 Posts