Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just got my 2001 TDI Sport Estate, and was wondering what size front discs they come with - 288mm or 312mm ?

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure they're 288mm ?

Was looking through the GSF catalogue last night and it listed 312mm discs for 'All 00-05 models with 16" wheels', and mine has got the 16" Sport alloys...

·
Registered
606 Posts
mine most definately are 288mm as I replaced them last year on my MY 2001 TDI sport Estate (with 16" Road America alloys).

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171602

When researching replacement discs, I think I came accross them listed as anything between 280 and 312mm. If you are not sure either take a wheel off and check or phone VW.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must admit there seems to be quite a bit more clearance between the caliper and rim than I'd expect with a 312 setup.
I'm running 312s under the 16" alloys on my Ibiza and the clearance is very tight.

Looks like I need to get a wheel off then :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I've got the 288mm discs, I'll seriously be considering the 312mm upgrade, as the same upgrade transformed the braking on my Ibiza.

After availing myself of the search facility, I am presuming I need:

1) Audi TT carriers
2) 312mm discs (not sure which model from yet)

...and same pads/calipers.

Do you know if these will fit under the std 16" Sport wheels ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yep, you need TT carriers and 312mm discs,

Discs are listed for:

Audi A4 3.0ltr 2002on
Audi A6 V6 quattro
Passat 2.5tdi
Passat v6 syncro 99on

I bought a set recently from GSF, genuine Brembo high carbon discs £34.50+vat each (they do Zimmermans for the same price too, but ask for the Brembo's as they're better quality discs)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice one, thanks for the info.

Which GSF did you use - Trafford Park ?

I work round Stockport way, used to use GSF when I had a Golf a few years back.

Not sure how easy it will be to get hold of the carriers on their own, I suspect most get sold with the calipers as it's a very popular upgrade on Fabias/Ibizas/Golfs etc where both bits are needed.

Any suggestions for sourcing the carriers ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yep, traf park. Normally use Eurocarparts, but GSF came through the winners this time!!

The carriers are available on their own as they are a seperate part (you don't get them when you buy a new caliper, for example)

Try www.vagparts.com , Martyn's great for prices of original parts and really helpful too!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts