Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere at some time there was a discussion on different types of brake bleeding tools / vacuum pumps.
I know there is the one that attches to the master cyl and presurizes (but not what I am looking for, "Motiv" I think that was)
There was another one that can be used to create a vacuum on the bleeding nipple or to insert a line into the manual tranny or oil dip stick line. There was a link to someone who was doing a group buy or a club B5 discount. For the life of me I am unable to find it by searching forums!
Does anyone know what I am looking for? (other than new brain cells) :???:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was like a mityvac, only these were larger plastic canisters with a pump (some even floor standing) and folks were using these for Tranny fluid drains and even oil drains through the dip stick. I just cant find a reference to the actual product.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I think I have this figured out: ( :bow: Thank you 20vvillian for putting me on the right track)
The Motive product is presure only and I always think of mityvac as the small handheld unit (model 4000)

What I was looking for was in fact a MityVac model 7201

Now for some feedback/questions

Thinking here is buy this unit instead of the Motive bleeder because it does Vacuum and Pressure. Would either be able to pressureize resevoir OR create a vacumm on the bleeder nipple on the brakes/clutch. This unit would ALSO allow me to drain motor oil from dipstick or from manual tranny as well all for only $10 more than the Motive product.
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this tool?

·
Registered
42 Posts
wchp - - The GB says that it has closed, but I clicked through to the vendor - http://www.toolparadise.com yesterday and the price was essentially the same (an additional $2) and still free shipping for the MityVac model 7201. I placed an order and rec'd confirmation that it was in stock and would ship out...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have the mity, and have used it to reduce an overfill, to change my oil and to suck out power steering fluid in my van. I am happy with it. To change the brake fluid you need to buy an attachment (7205 for $17).

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've put my two cents after the picture below.
wchp said:
MityVac model 7201
Thinking here is buy this unit instead of the Motive bleeder because it does Vacuum and Pressure. Would either be able to pressureize resevoir OR create a vacumm on the bleeder nipple on the brakes/clutch.
I bought one of these during the group buy, rather than the vacuum-only unit, with the same idea that it could work for pressure brake bleeding.

After I got it, and sucked the oil out of my engine (worked great), I realized after having all that dirty oil in it, I was certainly not going to put brake fluid into it to pump into my car! Yeah, maybe I could clean it out good enough. Maybe. But still ---

Now, you could use is as an air pressure source for pressure bleeding, and just use the fluid in your reservoir. The catch there is that during the bleeding you'll need to uncouple it from your reservoir repeatedly to refill fluid. Plus you run a good chance of forgetting to refill the reservoir, thus forcing air into the system requiring you to begin bleeding all over again.

And as you point out, you could use it as a vacuum source for sucking fluid out of the bleed valves. MityVac even sells an adapter for just that purpose. I think however that pressure bleeding is a better method: only one hookup for the whole operation and virtually no chance of running out of fluid.

The Motive Power Bleeder is available for $44 from parts4vws.com and for a couple $ less from drivewerks.com. (Drivewerks also has adapters for other vehicle-type reservoirs, in case you want to do more than just European vehicles.) The Motive has a big reservoir for fluid, so you can do a single hook up to your car's brake reservoir and flush the whole system without worrying about running out of fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts