Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of my cable/roadrunner bill that just keeps rising. Yesterday I called the cable company and said that I needed a service transfer and she quoted me at $58 for 3 hookups (2 room cable + roadrunner). I was like, can't you just turn it on and I can run the cables myself, she said no. I told her I was sick of this company and can fully disconnect me at the end of the month(BTW I pay over $110 for the both).

How can such a large company exist and dominate? Where are anti-trusts? Anyway, I'm going satellite. I saw a commercial for an amazing deal, but can't remember the site, any suggestions...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,241 Posts
I've had satellite TV for close to 9 years now and I am proud to say at times my bill has actually gone down instead of up, gotta love that. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,874 Posts
Do you guys have any issues with bad weather? I'm seriously considering this as well. Cable costs are way too high! I dont even have premium cable & I'm paying like $89 for cable & roadrunner. This cost includes a fee for using their hardware! Like I have a choice!?!? Fuckers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
I have comcast, and was pissed at the rates as well. What sucks, is that the interenet bill sky rockets if I cancel cable. Stupid. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,154 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
Do you guys have any issues with bad weather? I'm seriously considering this as well. Cable costs are way too high! I dont even have premium cable & I'm paying like $89 for cable & roadrunner. This cost includes a fee for using their hardware! Like I have a choice!?!? Fuckers.
I suggest DSS, with digital signal, you'll never go back to the grainy analog ever again. Assuming you still want your cable modem and cancel the cable tv service, unless they place a filter in your line, by default you will still be able to receive basic cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,241 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
Do you guys have any issues with bad weather? I'm seriously considering this as well. Cable costs are way too high! I dont even have premium cable & I'm paying like $89 for cable & roadrunner. This cost includes a fee for using their hardware! Like I have a choice!?!? Fuckers.
Joe, since I've had my satelite I can tell you my reception has gone out maybe one to two times out of a year and when it did we were experencing Blizzard type conditions or a serious thunderstorm.

I tell you I love DirectTV and would not go to cable unless it was giving to me for free and even then I might not except, being Cablevision would be my designated cable provider and we know they suck. Just look at the Knicks and Rangers they reflect Cablevision service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Go dish network... I think they're better than direct tv...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
RRL said:
Go dish network... I think they're better than direct tv...
I got Dish this fall after my cable company decided to hike my rates 20% with no improvement in services. :mad:

I chose Dish over DTV because 1) DTV didn't offer my locals 2) DTV didn't offer NESN (BoSox baby). I have been incredibly pleased. As a bonus, the digital radio programming is great! 4 jazz stations, all the classic rokk you could care to hear, a very strong reggae channel. WAY better than the digital cable radio I had previously with Adelphia.

BTW, if anyone wants to install Dish, I've got cards good for $50 off with free installation and free equipment. :thumbup:
 

·
Loose female member
Joined
·
4,885 Posts
flipsauce said:
RRL said:
Go dish network... I think they're better than direct tv...
I got Dish this fall after my cable company decided to hike my rates 20% with no improvement in services. :mad:

I chose Dish over DTV because 1) DTV didn't offer my locals 2) DTV didn't offer NESN (BoSox baby). I have been incredibly pleased. As a bonus, the digital radio programming is great! 4 jazz stations, all the classic rokk you could care to hear, a very strong reggae channel. WAY better than the digital cable radio I had previously with Adelphia.

BTW, if anyone wants to install Dish, I've got cards good for $50 off with free installation and free equipment. :thumbup:
Hey I'm defintly interested.
I figure I can swap over to a dish and save myself about $70 per month.
On the plus side , more channels and all digital, upgrade my tivo to a 100gb unit, 3 rooms included , on demand video.
On the down side I will have to loose my cable broadband and go with sprint DSL.

So, this weekend I will be having a little 'chat' with Comcast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,874 Posts
Well, I'm mostly interested because of the $$$ savings. I have digital cable so I get like a jillion channels. Talk to me more about the cutting out though. I would hope I had TV during those days whe the weather sucks so much I need to stay inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,529 Posts
The signal cutouts from the satellite services are very rare. Like someone in the thread earlier stated, only in extreme blizzards or thunderstorms will you get any signal fade.

In Texas, home to some of the biggest Thunderstorms you can imagine (can you say supercell) I have lost signal 10 minutes in the last year. Considerably less than cable which I get through my internet connection.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,213 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
I would hope I had TV during those days whe the weather sucks so much I need to stay inside.
If you anticipate bad weather that will likely keep you indoors, just rent some porn.

flipsauce said:
DTV didn't offer NESN
Yes they do. I don't know but maybe they didn't before. When was this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
flipsauce said:
DTV didn't offer NESN
Rich P said:
Yes they do. I don't know but maybe they didn't before. When was this?
They might offer it, but it wasn't included in the basic packages as it is with Dish. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,241 Posts
flipsauce said:
flipsauce said:
DTV didn't offer NESN
Rich P said:
Yes they do. I don't know but maybe they didn't before. When was this?
They might offer it, but it wasn't included in the basic packages as it is with Dish. :thumbup:
Yeah Direct TV doesn't include NESN as a basic channel. Thankfully they offer the YES Network though. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
When I moved I went Dish.

3 rooms, 1 DVR (supposedly bigger capacity than their PVR, as if I watch near enough TV but oh well) and much less than my cable bill used to be. Love it.

Free install, on a sunday no less. Couldn't be happier. Cable can SUCK IT
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
idale
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top