Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this movie for the first time a few days ago... were any of you as speechless as I after seeing it? Very well made film me thinks.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I concure! That was very moving! There were some things that were said that made me just sit and think........"I cant believe he just said that or asked that question". Very good movie :thumbup:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Moore hasn't made a good film that I've seen since Roger & Me, including this one. He goes so far as to alienate the people he wants to hear his message the most.

He isn't that great of a writer, either. I own Stupid White Men, and he's no Al Franken.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I've got it at home right now, but haven't watched it yet. we had a thread about it here several months ago, it was not very popular.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Its sad that the movie was promoted and sold as a documentary.. when in reality, its pure propaganda. Joseph Goebbels would be proud, Michael.

Did anyone hear about his latest? he's making a "documentary" to expose the links between the Bush family and Bin laden. Apparently he thinks Bush and Bin laden were highschool buddies and planned 9/11 while Bush was AWOL from the national guard.... un-fucking-believeable
:puke: :mad: :shock: :nervous: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I can sorta see how some ppl liked that movie, but it wasn't really my cup of tea other than the interview w/ Charlton Heston (sp?). I didn't see it as propaganda because I didn't take it seriously at all. I can see how it could be considered propaganda if seen through HS kids who believe everything Moore says w/out being scientific, but then again there are lots of other propagandists out there on many issues, and I don't think that's a bid deal. It's not like Moore movie will start a coup or anything serious.

However, I didn't enjoy it much because I dont think a clear cut thesis was ever presented (is Moore trying to say something, or is he just randomly poking fun at parts of society for a good laugh?), plus the whole structure of the film just seems really disorganized. Granted, I don't organization is a necessity in all types of films, but I can't really enjoy a documentry w/out structure. Moore's sense of humor I guess is also a big part of whether or not his film work to a given viewer. While some ppl may find him amusing and charming, to me he was just annoying.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I found the part about Canada interesting. Sounds like many of you have been watching Fox news a little too much.

Sharky said:
I own Stupid White Men, and he's no Al Franken.
Tis true, Al's book is a better read.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
For me at least, Moore's political agenda is irrelevant. I'm only looking at the quality of filmaking and/or persuasivness of the film as a whole. For me, moore doesn't work.

Likewise Sergei Eisenstein's "Battleship Potempkin", and "Strike" are directly meant to be communist propaganda films in the Soviet Union, and I found that thouroughly enjoyable even though I don't consider myself a communist. As for documentries, I much enjoy the more informative and organized documetries from the Discovery than Moore's. Moore's filmaking just isn't organized, and I just happen to find him irritating in general. Sometimes I find him to be more of an egomaniac/attention-getter than good filmaker.

BTW- I don't watch FOX, and I'm definetly no republican incase you were wondering. However, if I were a really biased republican, I think I would really love Moore.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Moore definetely puts a unique spin on all his work. I've seen "The Big One" and "Bowling for Columbine" and while they were both extremely moving, there's a certain lack of objectivity to his work. I agree with most of what he stands for and I'm glad there are people like him exposing the corruption in gov't and big business, but he really should be much less subjective if he wants to maintain his moral superiority.

I'm half way through his latest book "Dude, Where's my Country?", and there's some pretty damning stuff to the current administration and the Bush family. It'll be interesting to see how all this will affect Bush in the upcoming election. Moore has endorsed Clarke for the election because Clarke's anti-war, pro gun control, and feels he's the one who has what it takes to beat Bush, but many people might view this as being hypocritical, endorsing a ex-army general after being so critical of the military in general.

·
Registered
696 Posts
How is unraveling moore's propaganda methods = propaganda?

Moore is a pathetic figure who needs to lie and manufacture his own reality to justify his outrageous positions. He has been invited on well known radio shows (Larry Elder), but moore would only agree to do a show if it wasnt live, and only if he had the questions in advance...

Its obvious Moore is a mentally disturbed person.. He's a self-described communist, but he's richer than 99.9% of Americans, and he flies around in a private jet - all while telling us how evil the american capitalist system is!!

Has anyone benefited from capitalism more than moore himself? :crazy: :crazy:
Maybe when we all stop exploiting eachother (cough, movie industry), we will all be rich and have a condo on the beach equipped with 10 cars and a private airport.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What I meant was, I don't think the articles "unraveled moore's propaganda methods" any more than they created more propaganda. Some people see the slant in one thing, some the other. I think there is a slant on both sides.

Oh, I think you left out "Michael Moore hates America."

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
JokerUNM said:
Oh, I think you left out "Michael Moore hates America."
Ya he did forget the Coulter/Hannity/Savage/Limbaugh/Humphries tag line affixed to anyone that has strong feelings against a conservative.

It's fun how they forget how ugly things were against Clinton a few years back....I guess those folks hated America too.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
RichieV6 said:
I'm half way through his latest book "Dude, Where's my Country?", and there's some pretty damning stuff to the current administration and the Bush family. It'll be interesting to see how all this will affect Bush in the upcoming election.
Moore has a book? Seriously, I had no idea. As for the election, I have a hard time believing anything Moore has to say in print or on film will make a significant impact either way.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Moore has a number of books... I watched it enjoyed it, but understand its really crap in reality...

The sad part of this movie is that people all over the world watch this movie and take it without a grain of salt. This summer I watched it with spaniard friends in spain and they thought it was the truth about the U.S... These are the same people that cant understand why I dont lock my door at night. In Italy I stayed with a friends family and they kept talking about the robbers that lived in the forest and how rampant robberies and racism is. They said it was dangerous for my parents to live in the sticks... WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT... Yes all these occurances do take place in the U.S sadly but hello does italy have room to speak...

It really makes us look bad, and Im all about gun control... Its just my 2 cents but I tired of explaining to people that the U.S is not totally like what they hear in the international new scene....

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
There are truths in the film regardles of bias and spin. We do kill alot of each other. He was asking why. I don't think he figured out why. I'm still curious why. It helped me think anout it though. I realized that it's primarily fear and paranoia. he asks important questons for all of us regardless of political affiliation and a real solution to the problems that he elucidates is seriously needed.

So i'll ask. In a sentence or less, Why is our country so violent?

My answer is: Fear, both rational and artificially induced by our media and our government for purposes of driving sales and controlling the masses.

Any takers? I'm curious if any of our venerable critics have any insight here. :???:

The film itself? It was thought provoking and interesting but I question Moore's methodology, and editing. He doesn't vociferously enough explain his motivation nor does he clearly define the results of his quest... It's is a bit derivative as well, and again, shows more correlation than causation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts