Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my wett chip in and so far I'm impressed. One problem though - whenever I come to a complete stop I get a bouncing idle that evens itself out after a few seconds. It's a very noticable bounce. What's up?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Kelly told me that this problem happens with the combination of a 1.1 bar chip and stock exhaust. She said that she experienced the same problem with her car. I highly suggest you call her. That's why I have a 1.0 bar chip for now and a 1.1 bar chip for when I get my exhaust installed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My car does this everytime I switch chips(GIAC) or unhook the battery. I once had it drop down far enough to stall. In the paper work for the GIAC it claims this is normal and the idle should go back to normal within " 48 hours of driving time".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I have Wett chip and also bounces just like yours. Symptom occurs for a few seconds when car stopped on signal. It doesn't happen always, but especially happenes like when I caught by signal after I speed my car.

My car is B5 1.8T with Tip.

I'd be glad if you feed back your solution.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jumping idle

Hi guys i had the same problem also,and after doing some research,i found out that if your car is a tipronic this is normal.Mine is a 2000 tip.This problem happens to the car even if it's not chipped.

serge montreal

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have a 1.1 bar chip and a tip, and have not experienced this bouncy idle you guys are talking about. I do have an exhaust, however. I would try an throttle body adaptation and see what happens

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Your TB is adapting. On nDBW you need a vag-com to do a TB adapt, otherwise the car needs 4 cycles to full operating temp/cool down in order to reset. On DBW you can just do the key on, foot off gas pedal reset for 1-2 minutes. I don't know what Kelly's been smoking, but there is no connection between idle stumbling and chip/exhaust combos, except you haven't done a TBA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is 2000 tip also. Glad? that we can share this problem... I think I should try TB adjusting when I got home tonight...

I regard this bouncing idle symptom means that two or more sensors are sensing/controling its data to adjust proper rpm. Since I have no fault code and partial bouncing which ends in a few seconds, I was thinking about sensor failure.
Does MAF causes this kind of trouble? I never cleaned MAF sensor (95k miles now), so I'm a bit worried about it.

>how much is it bouncing, in rpms?
Mine bounces between 760-850rpm. It never goes down below the correct idle rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts