Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all,
Did something crazy, bought me an A6 2.0 early March.
140.000 miles
One owner, all maintenance done at the dealer.
Super clean. Very quiet.
The Passat has refused to start since then. I need to soothe her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
Nice choice. Lots of room to upgrade OEM+. Brakes, ECU reflash, suspension. etc.

What maintenance has been done? You’ll need to look at doing timing chain tensioners and new chain, at least. New design as old design prone to failure.

Any cold start stumbling? Look into intake valve cleaning. Must be manually cleaned. Solvents don’t work. Welcome to the TFSI world.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
The Passat has refused to start since then.
The Passat knows who reigns supreme in the family now.
Very nice choice.

I'm getting oh so close to doing the same. Got my eyes peeled for a clean 2010 model year 3.0T.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
I don't blame the Passat for being pissed, but the A6 is a nice car.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice choice. Lots of room to upgrade OEM+. Brakes, ECU reflash, suspension. etc.

What maintenance has been done? You’ll need to look at doing timing chain tensioners and new chain, at least. New design as old design prone to failure.

Any cold start stumbling? Look into intake valve cleaning. Must be manually cleaned. Solvents don’t work. Welcome to the TFSI world.

TFSIs are scary for me. I was happy with my 1.8t. :)
I will see what I got myself into.

They did tranny fluid change at around 80.000. It says DSG but I am not sure if this particular model has DSG. Transmission shifts flawlessly.

They cleaned the valves around the same time. So it has been almost 60.000 miles. What’s the interval on that?

They have changed oil religiously at the dealer. I couldn’t believe it. From 0 to 140.000 miles, everything done at the dealer. Should I still consider chain and pads replacement?

No cold start stumble. Drove Atlanta to New York back. Monitored it along the way with OBD 11.
No engine or transmission problems. Gets 34-35 mpg on highway.

Although there was a water pump related code. I believe it has electronic pump. I deleted the code never came back. In the New York cold, it would take for the engine some time to reach operating temp. I watched some videos. It’s a pita to replace.

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
It should have an electronic thermostat, but a mechanical water pump towards the back of the engine. I would look to see if that year had the cam follower with the HPFP issues.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
I don’t think the cam follower nor HPFP had issues in these later ones. Oil changes how often? If 5k intervals, that’s ok, but Audi recommended 10k, which accelerated the issue.

The chain tensioners were not generally an if, but rather a when on failure. You’ll have to look into it more to see when the changeover was. Humble mechanic on YouTube is a great learning resource.

I’ve got (2) 2.0Ts. The wife’s Q5 just ticked over 100k miles and not one single issue. We’ve had it since 9k. Mine has been great as well. Ours are newer so they have the updated tensioners.

How many speeds? If 8, then it is the ZF8 automatic which is a wonderful trans. Just did a pan drop and filter change on the Q5 a few months ago. Shifts like butter.

If 7 speed it is the S-tronic. Their name for the DSG.

Get on some forums and start learning. It’s not a terribly difficult motor to work on, just new to you. Took me a while to warm up to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts