Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've narrowed my choice for speakers down to two. i will be buying two sets of either but don't want to mix-n-match. all four speakers will be powered by 4x75watt Infinity amp (INI-7540A). HU is Pioneer DEH-P8MP.

Option 1: Boston Acoustics NX67

Option 2: Pioneer REV TSD169R

both retail for $160 at tweeter. here is the comparo...
http://www.tweeter.com/gridInLine/i...d_1219350.1265241.&cp=1124288.1124550.1124481

any opinions on which i should go for??

·
Registered
133 Posts
well, i've got the boston nx67's in my passat... they're probably some of the best coax's I've heard in a long time! If the pioneers and the bostons are priced the same, I'd definately go for the bostons!

But do shop around... wholesale cost on the nx67's is around $70/pair, so surely you can find someone that will cut you a deal on two pairs (say... $130-140 /pair).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've had really good experiences with Boston Acoustics in the past and they were my number one choice but i've been hearing good thigs about the Pioneers REV series so i just wanted to double check. i'm pretty sure i'm going with Bostons though...

But do shop around... wholesale cost on the nx67's is around $70/pair, so surely you can find someone that will cut you a deal on two pairs (say... $130-140 /pair).
where would u suggest i look for those kind of prices??? all i found were a pair on ebay for ~$100

·
Registered
133 Posts
quality_sound said:
Go with the ones that sound best to you???? What anyone else thinks means absolutely nothing unless you're going to listen with someone else's ears.
very good point... but he did ask for opinions... :)

as far as finding speakers at a lower price... when you go into an audio shop (generally one that's not a nationwide chain), just haggle with the price... tell them that you're looking at getting two pairs and make them an offer for $130 a pair... worst case scenario the salesperson says no (or bumps you up to $145 if he's an experienced salesman, then you counter for $140! :D) -OR- if you live in an area where there's more than one store that sells the same items, you can get into a "price war" with the stores if they'll price match... it's kinda fun doing this and you normally get the stuff for a LOT LESS than retail...

just a couple options to consider...

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
True he did ask for opinions, I was just letting him know that opinions as far as sound go are worthless. He can ask about the sonic qualities of each set, but asking whick one sounds better is like asking which one looks better.

I used to hate when customers would ask me which speakers I liked better.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Heh... I bet you liked it even better when customers would come in and buy some new (cheap) coax's to go in the front and rear, and buy a new hu too... and then after it's installed, complain that there's not enouch bass... :lol:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx for the replies. i'll keep looking around for prices at local stroes. any recomendations in the cambridge/boston area??

quality_sound said:
Go with the ones that sound best to you???? What anyone else thinks means absolutely nothing unless you're going to listen with someone else's ears.
i totally agree and while i have experienced tha bostons and like them very much i never listened to the pioneers so i was hoping i could get some feedback on those in particular...

still pretty sure i'm going with Boston Acoustics though :wink:
now i'll just have to find a good price....

·
Registered
61 Posts
All good advice, but keep in mind, its not just what speakers sound better, but what speaker sounds best with the type of music you listen to. If you can audition both brands with some of your favorite cd's, that may help you decide. Granted, you will not get the same sound as in the car verses the showroom, but you still should hear the difference. good luck :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.