Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 Passat V6, (not a 4motion). My daughters car.

There's a clicking when making a hard right turn....particularly noticeable while accelerating.

I took a look and both rubber boots are torn. I assume the CV joints need to be replaced...along with the boots of course.

I had the same problem with my 01 1.8T Passat....maybe more than once. That car was such a money pit though that I've blocked out of my mind the details. Seems I got something from a place called Raxles (???). Seems it was the axle and CV joints.

My question is: Do I need to have replaced just the boots and joints, or......do the axles have to be replaced at the same time?

Also....is Raxles the best source? Seems I recall excellent service. But, like I said, I had so much bad luck with my Passat that I just wanted to block out everything about the experience.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You can replace just the joints (and boots) without replacing the axles but you will need to remove the axles to do so. It's not hard but it's a very messy job.

Raxles has a good reputation here since they use OEM axles which are hollow instead of solid axles as found on many replacements. Sometimes the solid axles induce vibrations although some folks have had good luck with them also. One downside with Raxles is that you will have to send in your old axles as cores since they will put new joints on them for the next customer.

Personally, I'd just replace the joints and boots. You might even be able to just clean, re-lube and reboot the joints but it's hard to gauge the condition of the joint until it's apart.

You mentioned that both rubber boots are torn. Is this both boots on one axle or the outer boots on both sides? Usually the inner joints last 'forever' and it's the outer boots that cause problems.

·
Registered
28,514 Posts
GKN makes the outer joint kits and they are top quality. I found them for about $95 each online a few years ago. If it's clacking, it should be replaced. I've seen them last up to a year like that, but I would not risk it.

Reactions: fishugly

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can replace just the joints (and boots) without replacing the axles but you will need to remove the axles to do so. It's not hard but it's a very messy job.

Raxles has a good reputation here since they use OEM axles which are hollow instead of solid axles as found on many replacements. Sometimes the solid axles induce vibrations although some folks have had good luck with them also. One downside with Raxles is that you will have to send in your old axles as cores since they will put new joints on them for the next customer.

Personally, I'd just replace the joints and boots. You might even be able to just clean, re-lube and reboot the joints but it's hard to gauge the condition of the joint until it's apart.

You mentioned that both rubber boots are torn. Is this both boots on one axle or the outer boots on both sides? Usually the inner joints last 'forever' and it's the outer boots that cause problems.
It's the outer boots on both sides. The inner boots looked fine. Thanks for the info!

GKN makes the outer joint kits and they are top quality. I found them for about $95 each online a few years ago. If it's clacking, it should be replaced. I've seen them last up to a year like that, but I would not risk it.
Thanks!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,484 Posts
I'm normally a Raxles fan, but last time around I used AutoZone's house brand axles and had good results. Four years later, no vibration and the boots are still good.
Did the same, almost. Cardone remans from AMZ..

Reactions: fishugly

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I'm normally a Raxles fan, but last time around I used AutoZone's house brand axles and had good results. Four years later, no vibration and the boots are still good.
Not doubting your success with Autozone's axles but I've horrible luck with those.
Two times now (on my wife's GLX) they lasted less than a year. Do for a change again. Right side is toast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts