Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this problem whereby the boot lid won't stay shut, seemed to be particularly the case during cold weather. I fixed the problem for free so thought I would post in case it helps anyone else. The boot lid catch or lock is motorised to open and spring return to prime for locking. The problem I found on examination is that the spring return doesn't work, that being the case the lock doesn't prime itself for locking on closing the lid. If you take off the mechanism you will find that it's not particularly designed for repair but it can be done, there are a number of clips holding the two sides if the locking mechanism together, carefully prise those open and the mechanism will spilt into its two halves. When it does you can see that there is a little motor inside and it drives a shaft and straight gear, when the motor is activated it rotates the straight gear and pulls the catch mechanism upwards against a small spring thereby compressing it ready to return the straight gear and latch to the locked or primed to lock position when the motor is disengaged. The problem I observed is that the little spring is very close in diameter to the flange it acts against in order to return the latch, so if there is any wear at all the spring slips over the flange and tension is lost, it doesn't compress and therefore the latch never primes for locking when the open motor is released. The solution is to do something to ensure that the spring cannot slip over the flange it is supposed to act against. I found a little plastic washer just slightly bigger in diameter than the flange or plunger and cut a slot in it so that I could push it into position over the shaft of the straight gear and between the flange and the actuator plunger then using a soldering iron melted the washer a little to reclose the slot, you could use glue either. A small circlip that had a diameter slightly greater than the flange would do the same job. Once the spring can act against something again everything will work, to put it back together carefully reclip the two halves of the lock mechanism together and as they aren't technically supposed to slit apart use a few blobs of glue or a little remelting with the soldering iron to make sure they stay together.
Did mine several months ago, works like a dream and has last perfectly well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.