Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Boosted Tech Cold Air Intake Fits

4K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  NUISANCE 
#1 ·
It's official, it fits :) The hardest part of the install was getting the small filter on the smog pump. It took almost half an hour. It was a bitch to get the pump back out then back in. Over all, no CEL, and now it has the woooooooosh sound. If you want to install it plan for 1-2 hours, if you have taken off your bumper before. If not, plan maybe an hour more.

Now for the heat shield. It has 2 pegs that are suppose to drop in where the stock box goes but they are too close together. I emailed Raul at Boosted Tech and told him it fits. I also told him that I will be taking the shield to my hot rod guy to have him cut off the posts then reweld then so they fit our cars. I also told him that I would mail it to him so he could officially be the seller of the first CAI for our rides, all he would have to do is make a different shield and he will be in business.

The memory card for my camera took a dump so I can't post all of the picts. The picts of the filter on the smog pump are gone :cry: I can't take anymore picts because I installed it then removed it and gave the car back to my Mom.

Picts-

See less See more
#15 ·
quality_sound said:
Yes, the OEM intake. Really. That's why most aftermarket intakes suck in comparison.

Paul :thumbup:
not true. pretty much with all cold air intakes you gain some (not a whole lot) of power, except the passat and A4s since our airbox happers to be next to a 1000°F piece if metal, the turbo. This intake does look promising as it looks like a true CAI, but I find that woooooooooo noise extremely annoying (on transverse 1.8ts at least) so no thanks.

#16 ·
b5-turbonium said:
quality_sound said:
Yes, the OEM intake. Really. That's why most aftermarket intakes suck in comparison.

not true. pretty much with all cold air intakes you gain some (not a whole lot) of power, except the passat and A4s since our airbox happers to be next to a 1000°F piece if metal, the turbo. This intake does look promising as it looks like a true CAI, but I find that woooooooooo noise extremely annoying (on transverse 1.8ts at least) so no thanks.
You gonna try to tell me that most of the available intakes, with a filter sitting open in the engine bay and no shielding of any kind is better than OEM? :crazy: No way. The OEM takes it's air from outside the engine bay and since the intake tract is plastic instead of metal if it does heat soak it'll cool down faster than the aftermarkets with a metal tube that stays hot for a lot longer. I'm going tu use a thermal wrap on my OEM exhaust and get the benefits of the OEM system but keep it from heat soaking as fast.

#17 ·
dont knock it till you try it. a properly shielded evo intake (not just the evo supplied shield) is way better than stock box with stock shields and it uses plastic not metal tubing and it's much better quality plastic than stock. my stock box used to be burning hot to the touch, my evo with my custom heatshields after hours of driving stays almost outside air temp except if i've been sitting at idle for a while then i've recorded temps on the outside of the maf and intake tube at 98 deg F, 89 deg. F on the outside of the filter element. while driving i think the sound is awesome to. even in the summer heat i notice no downside to my evo intake. besides that the stock box is amongst the ugliest i've ever seen, no wonder why they put a cover on that thing :p

#19 ·
1.8tbeout said:
dont knock it till you try it. a properly shielded evo intake (not just the evo supplied shield) is way better than stock box with stock shields and it uses plastic not metal tubing and it's much better quality plastic than stock. my stock box used to be burning hot to the touch, my evo with my custom heatshields after hours of driving stays almost outside air temp except if i've been sitting at idle for a while then i've recorded temps on the outside of the maf and intake tube at 98 deg F, 89 deg. F on the outside of the filter element. while driving i think the sound is awesome to. even in the summer heat i notice no downside to my evo intake. besides that the stock box is amongst the ugliest i've ever seen, no wonder why they put a cover on that thing :p
Perhaps its hot to the touch because the heat isn't being transferred to the air inside the box . . . . If its cool to the touch, then that heat has probably transferred to the air being sucked in.

Sorry . . . but the EVO is not a true CAI, nor is the boosted tech.

The BMC CDA def is though.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.