Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boost guage only shows 4/5 psi under hard acceleration. I tried to mess with the hoses and now have a jerry-rigged (sp?) setup but it reads the same as before. it reads 20 on the vacum end. I get a little surging in 1st gear or when I even out during acceleration. Is it possible for the dealership to have deleted my chip (upsolute)? I have a baileys DV or BOV, could it be this? I thought they were bullet proof (so to speak).
What is stock boost? I don't hear any air leaks, and I can't figure this out. help please!! :weirdo: :???: :mad:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I am a V6er, so thats where most of my knowledge lies.. but IIRC, the K03 stock boost is somewhere around 7-9 PSI, sounds like you are just a tad below that. Make sure all of your hoses are connected properly, and I would definatly try to swap out that DV to see if thats the problem. As far as your chip goes. I think the Upsolute chip is soldered onto the existing chip isn't it? If so, they shouldn't be able to delete it. 4-5 is low... so something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Sounds like limp-mode to me, you won't throw a cel but if you hook up a vag the code should be there. If you have no vag just disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then do a TB adaptation.
Should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: boost problems

Hizay said:
My boost guage only shows 4/5 psi under hard acceleration. I tried to mess with the hoses and now have a jerry-rigged (sp?) setup but it reads the same as before. it reads 20 on the vacum end. I get a little surging in 1st gear or when I even out during acceleration. Is it possible for the dealership to have deleted my chip (upsolute)? I have a baileys DV or BOV, could it be this? I thought they were bullet proof (so to speak).
What is stock boost? I don't hear any air leaks, and I can't figure this out. help please!! :weirdo: :???: :mad:
Stock boost should be around 7psi. The other thing to check are the vacuum lines. Any little leak can actually cause serious loss of boost. A reading of 20hg for vacuum sounds right. Other then that I agree with vista_cruiser, hook it up to a vag-com and see what kind of codes show up. "TB adaptation" is ThrottleBody adaptation. Hope this helps. How old is your Passat?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: boost problems

How old is your Passat?[/quote said:
she's a '99 with about 82k on it.
now my next question is anybody got vag-com? I went to the website, I forgot what it is now, that should who in your area has one and somebody came up and read it for me. Guess I'll have to check back with them, or somebody.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Actually IIRC, Limp mode gives you no boost. Sounds like you are getting most of it though.

I have the Upsolute chip too and I get 11/12 peak and it pretty much holds at 11.

I had similar issues a year ago. I changed my DV, then my hoses, I even cleaned my MAF. In the end, it was the MAF that just went bad and needed replacing.

Since the MAF adjusts the fuel ratios and is the cornerstone of the system, if that is bad, it could be doing this to you.

Since you have already changed your DV, change the hoses. If that doesn't do it, then you can bet it is the MAF.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Does UPsolute make different BAR ECU's cause i am installing one on saturday and i kinda was hoping to be putting out 14.7psi (1 BAR) at least.

I had a similar problem but, i am running a stock ECU at the moment. The mechanics at the dealer stretched my vacuum line from the DV to the intake so much that it was practically PINCHED!!!!! i was loosing about 1 psi on the Boost Gauge, but once i made an extension it was back to normal :thumbup:

.merk20vt'

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hizay - The MAF is a VW part only.

merk20vt, the Upsolute chip is only .8 bar. (11/12 PSI). Still puts out 196hp (for B5) and 214 lb-ft torque.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
coloradob5 said:
merk20vt, the Upsolute chip is only .8 bar. (11/12 PSI). Still puts out 196hp (for B5) and 214 lb-ft torque.
WOW, i'd be very happy with that!!!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I don't have a part #, but if you call your local VW department, they can give it to you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There are 2 limp modes - and it sounds like you are hitting the soft limp mode which limits boost to 4-5 psi. Reset everything and see what happens. It will have to spike before going into soft limp, so it should show on your guage.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try the reset method and maybe check the DV cuz the surging feels like a dv problem but what does that mean for my bailey's? is it not guarented?
Is replacing the MAF a DIY ting?

regardless: Thanks for all the help, :beer: this is why I love this site, it makes owning and loving VW so great. I always hate being ignorant about a vehicle and its problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts