Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too long to paste the whole thing, so here's Jalopnik's summary. Full link to the official press release at the bottom:

I'll try and keep this short: 3.0-liter sequential turbo I-6 good for 286 HP, 427 lb-ft of twist and a combined cycle of 35 mpg. I really can't think of much else to say. OK, fine -- the 3.0-liter petrol plant in the 335i and 535i makes a bit more power (officially 300, though actual output is closer to 330 hp), much less torque (300 lb-ft) and gets a combined 20 mpg downhill. BMW's keeping its yap shut about which new world car (or perhaps cars...) is going to get the blown oil burner, but Ward's Auto is guessing that we'll be seeing both the 335d and 535d before too long. And maybe even a 635d. We're all for those, for sure, but Jalopnik would very much like to see a 135d. Preferably in wagon or shooting brake form. And the 535d Touring, too. As for the when, we're hearing late 2008. [wardsauto.com]

http://wardsauto.com/ar/bmw_diesel_us/

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! But I don't think I can afford it.
Me, neither...I'm just excited about what this means for the rest of the manufacturers. Hopefully this will help "legitimize" the technology in more people's eyes in the US. Diesel isn't THE solution, but the powerplant diversity helps...especially when you aren't sacrificing much performance for such a huge efficiency gain.

Mercedes had a chance to do this with the E320 bluetec, but they fcuked it all up:
1. Didn't send enough to the US to meet demand in the first year (5,000 or so?)
2. Quickly superseded the decent E320 gas version with the excellent E350 for the same price...which then made the 320 diesel version look like a bad value.

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Me, neither...I'm just excited about what this means for the rest of the manufacturers. Hopefully this will help "legitimize" the technology in more people's eyes in the US. Diesel isn't THE solution, but the powerplant diversity helps...especially when you aren't sacrificing much performance for such a huge efficiency gain. ...
I agree. I think that turbodiesel technology IS a solution to the wants and needs of the American consumer in the next 50 years. But, of course, none of the people in power want this because it would cost them money. And we stupid Americans believe their propaganda about gas/electric hybrids and, cough, hydrogen fuel cells, and that diesels are yucky.

Plug-in hybrids are another solution but they aren't powerful nor sexy and that just won't sell to most Amerisheep.

300 ponies and 400 ft/lbs and 30+ mpg... THAT will sell.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
the mileage is awesome, no doubt...but the additional torque is not necessarily a good thing.
i really hope whatever chassis they throw this on will have some adequate LSD.
other than that, i'd like to hear more details about this like pricing and tech specs.
If bmw can get this to sell in CA (with all the stupid over-stringent smog laws), i'll be really impressed.
regardless, i think this is a really cool move on behalf of bmw.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Me, neither...I'm just excited about what this means for the rest of the manufacturers. Hopefully this will help "legitimize" the technology in more people's eyes in the US. Diesel isn't THE solution, but the powerplant diversity helps...especially when you aren't sacrificing much performance for such a huge efficiency gain.
agreed. however, i think a lot of this also has to do with lawmakers. VW had a great product on their hands when they came out with the mk4 jetta/golf tdi. to boot, it was also a fun car to mod. however, i think its commercial success in NA was at least partially hindered by the smog laws we have here. CA is already renowned as smog nazis, and iirc, the tdi's were not sold here in CA.

i don't think most ppl are so concerned about the enviroment, as they are about just saving $$$ on gas. if bmw can deliver something decent with great mpg, and a reasonable price, i think it will be successful regardless of whether or not its a diesel.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
the mileage is awesome, no doubt...but the additional torque is not necessarily a good thing.
i really hope whatever chassis they throw this on will have some adequate LSD.
other than that, i'd like to hear more details about this like pricing and tech specs.
If bmw can get this to sell in CA (with all the stupid over-stringent smog laws), i'll be really impressed.
regardless, i think this is a really cool move on behalf of bmw.
Yeah, torquey cars that lose traction are a real turnoff for me too :p

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Lots of new "D's" coming soon and with this the largest car market they are most certainly coming to CA too. Audi has the sweet Q3 Coming (400lbs Tq also, 40mpg Hwy SUV!) and even talk about Honda is soon bringing a Accord out with one. And several states have mirrored CA smog laws...so its even more important to manufactureres to get them here. And if they sell well in CA, that usually bodes well for much of the country.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts