Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's 99 B5 1.8 tiptronic with 70K on it checked it with vag-com last week , no problems with engine whatsoever according to vag-com, also car seem to be running nice and smooth as it should, so why am I getting a Blue smoke on a cold engine once i turn it ON?, also when i park the car and put on Park then switch to drive, take off and whoaaaa, lots of blue smoke behind me. Engine seems to be consuming about 1/2 us quart of oil every 1K. No visible leaks. Anyone have had that type of issue on his 1.8T passat? I have a feeling that the rings on piston/pistons are bad. How long does it take to get them replaced at the shop? I'm the second owner of this baby (bought it at the dealers auction) and using synthetic Mobil1 5X30. I have noticed that smoke (actually friend of mine saw it and told me about it) a few months ago and wherever i go nobody can answer why am I smoking? I had spark plugs pulled out and checked, they seems to be OK-they're new.
Thanks guys :bow:

·
Registered
718 Posts
if its only when the engine is cold and only at start up, it may be valve guide seals leaking. when the engine sits for awhile without running, oil seeps down past the seals and lays in the cyls. and then at start up, it burns off right away. I think that if your rings were going bad, you'd notice smoke all the time, atleast under acceleration, and you'd start suffering loss of power, especially since its a turbocharged car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, that's probobly it, that was my second thought after bad rings, so since there is problem with valve seals, would my car still smoke when i take off? last eweek i have stopped by my friends, car was running, transmission/car was switched to Park, then i put it back to drive, took off and whoaaaa...lot of smoke. How long does it take by good auto shop to get them replaced? I know parts aren't that expensive and that's the labor that is killer
Thanks
P.S.
When i mentioned valve seals to one of my mechanic he was surprised and he said that would be strange on a car that has 70K on it, but anyway. Guy told me if i want to intall a new stock turbo that will be whole day (8-9 hours of labor) :crazy: that's wahy i need to know how long does it take to get valve seals repalced so i wan't get ripped off. I want this get done, car look nice and clean so women looking at it...but untill i take off, then they see that blue smoke and :puke:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^Worn valve stem seals have nothing to do with the turbo. Why would you replace the turbo with another stock one just because you're burning oil?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I might back off my original thought a bit. You shouldn't be getting a lot of blue smoke from a 70k mile car... a puff is one thing. I'd do a compression test and check the plugs after they've got some more miles on them. At this point, if that doesn't give you any solutions, I'd probably wait it out to see if the problem gets worse in the coming months. You don't want to be chasing problems that require tons of labor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pete1 said:
^^Worn valve stem seals have nothing to do with the turbo. Why would you replace the turbo with another stock one just because you're burning oil?
no i didn't say it has anything to do with burning oil...just mentioned about the guy that says it would take the whole day to replace turbo,( labor wise) that's wahy i'm asking if anybody know how long would take to replce valve seals so i won't get ripped off
on labor

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dronek75: Do yourself a favor and get the Auto-RX and try it. Twenty five bucks for a zero risk potential solution to your oil burning issues. It's the least intrusive thing you can do and in doing it you eliminate sludge as a potential cause. If it works, problem solved. If not then you KNOW that you have a seal and/or mechanical ring problem and can proceed aggressively with a mechanical solution.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ericpeterman said:
Dronek75: Do yourself a favor and get the Auto-RX and try it. Twenty five bucks for a zero risk potential solution to your oil burning issues. It's the least intrusive thing you can do and in doing it you eliminate sludge as a potential cause. If it works, problem solved. If not then you KNOW that you have a seal and/or mechanical ring problem and can proceed aggressively with a mechanical solution.
yeah man that's what i'm running on now, i did like 750 miles on it since i put it in about two weeks ago, I have heard that Auto-rx is not a bad thing to try, The strange thing is that I was "smoking" on last saturday ( i was at the car wash and once guy get in to put the car into washing process, took off and lot of blue smoke came out, i was so embarassed) and after that sunday and monday it wasn't showing, I'm looking for it every time start the engine. It's all weird, I'm seriously considering of getting rid of this car, I love my B5 but I can't afford of fixing it all the time, since i have it for last 6 months i spend almost $3000 in repairs and don't feel like spending anymore to keep it running, it's a definitely nice car to drive but it's just to expensive to keep it on the road. Everything seems to be Ok, it's just that blue smoke once i start the engine and take off, latelly i have pulled out spark plugs to see how they look and the one on cylinder #1 is smoked, these are new NGKs that i have installed like 3K ago. This freaking blue smoke coming out once i start the engine and when i keep engine running in Park position, i switch to drive, take off and whoaaa...lot of smoke which seems to be gone after that. Looks like nobody can diagnose the problem, i went to dozen of mechanic shops around NYC and nobody can give me an answer, I don't want to end up with killed engine cause i can't afford a new one so i think I'll sell the car and save myself from getting nut :crazy: and living that problem to the next owner

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PassatVariantPunk said:
I would be worried of turbo too. Does it continue to smoke? Or only on startup?
Well the think is that blue smoke is coming out once i start engine when is cold and when I take off i see in a mirrors cloud of blue smoke left. Then it seems to be gone (at least i don't see any), last saturday at the car wash i left car with engine running on park position, one of the employee got in to move it, switched to Drive, took off and lot of smoke came out, it was like cloud which was gone after maybe 3 seconds. The funny think is that i have noticed that smoke is showing up and a hot, dry days, last few days was raining, high humidity and....no smoke :???: , today back to it after weather has changed to sunny. it's really weird, also there is no visible leaks but engine has consummed about 1 & 1/2 US quart of oil in about 3200 miles. You guys have any idea where should i look for the problem? besides that, car is running smooth, maybe just slight, almost unnnoticeable vibrating under gas pedal, but i'm not sure if it's normal or has anything to do with blue smoke coming out of exchaust :???: Whoever I'm going to with this problem is just guessing :mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should not see blue smoke at that consumption rate. Since you do, you are getting a lot of oil into the cylinders at start-up, but probbly not using much at all when the car is running. Blue smoke usualy lingers in the air for a while...more than 3 seconds. While I'm new to turbos, I assume if the turbo starts to fail, oil gets into the compressed air and into the cylinders. That seems like a reasonable place to look.

Has the oil consumption changed dramatically over 10-20k miles?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ny1911 said:
You should not see blue smoke at that consumption rate. Since you do, you are getting a lot of oil into the cylinders at start-up, but probbly not using much at all when the car is running. Blue smoke usualy lingers in the air for a while...more than 3 seconds. While I'm new to turbos, I assume if the turbo starts to fail, oil gets into the compressed air and into the cylinders. That seems like a reasonable place to look.

Has the oil consumption changed dramatically over 10-20k miles?
/
Well I'm thje second owner of this car, I have bought it on auction for dealers and all i know about this cars past is taht was a livery car...since i own it i did like 7K on it (it has 70K now) Funny think is that if it's the turbo that's failing i have had this replaced with some used one like 3K ago. according to the shop that have replaced the bad turbo with some used one, turbo wasn't keeping the oil in and let it just go, some pipes were floaded with oil which they have showed me, that's wahy they have replced it. Looks like they have screwed up something :???:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.